Should I get a cave for my albino rainbow shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pennylane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My shark keeps hiding under my HOB filter! I'm thinking it's trying to use it as a cave. I've heard that they're supposed to be sort of territorial. I already have a volcano-shaped cave in the tank, but that's been claimed by my cichlid already. Plus, I think it's too small for the shark to get inside comfortably, anyway. What sort of thing should I get for him to make his lair? Do you guys have any particular suggestions? Thanks!

PVC/ABS piping. You could even use aquarium safe silicone to attach rocks from the substrate to it and then let something like a java fern grow on top of that to give it a more "natural" appearance.

You can make your own simply with PVC pipe--check out the DIY forum. Many members have made their own and posted pics. Someone recently did it in an afternoon.
Or, go to the LFS and pic up a rock or log decoration.
How large is the tank? What type of cichlid are you keeping?

The tank's 5 gallons. I'm going to have to upgrade as the shark grows. It's an African Cichlid, I believe.

You definitely need a bigger tank for both those fish not just the shark.. I'm sure others will be able to suggest a better size... as for the cave you can check out my gallery to see some of the coconut caves I make.

Back
Top Bottom