Should I get Mystery Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've been thinking about getting mystery snails for my planted 55 gallon. I love the way they look, and I also hoped they'd clean up any dead plant material. My specific questions are:
1. Will they really eat the dead plants and leave the healthy ones alone. I have plenty of dead leaves compliments of my large silver dollar, but I can't get rid of Big Stupid.
2. Will mystery snails be ok in my tank. I've heard that you have to lower the water level 3 or 4 inches or they will die, and they'd be housed with angels, cory cats, blue rams, and Big Stupid at 77 degrees with a ph of 7.2.

Thanks a bunch,
Debbie

You have to be careful when buying Mystery Snails, as several varieties are sold under the same name. Some are plant safe and others are plant eaters. If you get a plant safe variety they will be good for cleaning up dead leaves. I recommend visiting AppleSnail.net for pictures that will help you identify what you're looking at.

No need to lower the water level unless you want to allow them to breed, as some varieties need to lay their eggs above the water level for them to develop.

Thanks Purrbox,
I should have been more specific. I've been looking at Pomacea bridgesii. Sounds like they'd be ok.
Debbie

Back
Top Bottom