should I switch to Prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnamaldehyde

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there - I'm fairly new to the forum, have been lurking for a while (I did post an intro though).

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading on this site, and have noticed that Prime seems to be the preferred water conditioner by a lot of folks. My question is this: Is Prime that much better that I should switch to it?

My 55gal tank is about 3 months old with:
- 2 HOB filters, an Aqueon 55 (325gph) and an Aquaclear 50 (200gph)
- no live plants
- a full length bubble wall
- since fishless cycle, consistent ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate less than 5ppm

I have one 3" albino bristlenose pleco, 3 julii corys, and today I just added 6 1" neon rosy barbs. I plan on adding roseline sharks (redline barbs) in a few weeks.

I have been using Nutrafin Aquaplus for chlorine/chloroamine, plus Nutrafin Cycle with PWCs, and FishFX probiotic disease preventative/immune booster. The LFS also sold me Nutrafin Waste Control, but I don't use it because I don't have that many fish yet or waste buildup.

Thanks in advance for your replies! :D

I use NovAqua. If you have something working I am not sure why you would switch. :)

To be honest with a properly maintained tank you only need water conditioner (which is what NovAqua and Prime are), the immune booster probably doesn't do enough to help with anything and may just make your fish immune to actual medications...

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading on this site, and have noticed that Prime seems to be the preferred water conditioner by a lot of folks. My question is this: Is Prime that much better that I should switch to it?
I recommend it. I wouldn't necessarily say it is any better than any other comparable dechlor/conditioner, but it definitely costs less. The bottle will cost a little more than the same size container of most other dechlors/conditioners, but the dosage is what saves you. Most conditioners use 5ml per 10g of water or so IIRC... Prime uses 5ml per 50g. A bottle of Prime lasts me quite some time, the last one lasted abotu 6 months or so.

I have been using Nutrafin Aquaplus for chlorine/chloroamine, plus Nutrafin Cycle with PWCs, and FishFX probiotic disease preventative/immune booster. The LFS also sold me Nutrafin Waste Control, but I don't use it because I don't have that many fish yet or waste buildup.
I would stop using those products. The effectiveness of cycle products is questionable at best, and I've actually heard that it can have a negative impact on your tank if it is cycled. Those other products are just putting things in your water that will end up crashing your tank at some point. The only thing you need is weekly water changes (I do 50% on my tanks), a good quality dechlor/conditioner like Prime or whatever you prefer, and a good quality test kit. Anything else is simply a waste of money, and quite possibly a good way to crash your tank. Of course, this is only my opinion, with some experience thrown in.

I also use Prime because it treats the most gallons per dollar spent. I used to use Tetra AquaSafe and never had problems, but Prime is a little cheaper and takes up less space on my shelves.

I'll second mfd's opinion on the extra chemicals. It's rarely a good idea to dump chemicals other than dechlorinator into the tank.

I have used many different types and prime is my favorite for the reasons already stated. However, it does stink.

Thanks for the replies.

What is the purpose of Cycle and Waste Control additives if you don't need it in a tank? I'm trying hard not so sound dumb here ;) but why do they make all the chemicals and say you're supposed to put them in at every water change?

I'm out of my regular conditioner, so I think I will pick up Prime for my next water change.

Thx again!

Thanks for the replies.

What is the purpose of Cycle and Waste Control additives if you don't need it in a tank? I'm trying hard not so sound dumb here ;) but why do they make all the chemicals and say you're supposed to put them in at every water change?
They make them because people will buy them. Sadly, they get people to buy in to their marketing hype, not realizing that it does absolutely nothing in most cases.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm out of my regular conditioner, so I think I will pick up Prime for my next water change.

Thx again!

I use Prime, mostly because it comes highly recommended by experienced aquarists, and it is the best value for gallons treated.

Cycle products can be effective for new tanks, helping establish proper bacteria allowing the tank to raise the bacteria colonies needed to eliminate fish waste before it becomes toxic for your fish. A healthy established tank shouldn't need any "Cycle" type products.

"Cycle" type products are also vulnerable to temperature extremes, and have expiry dates that may be overly optimistic. Often people buy these products and they're ineffective because they were frozen, overheated, or expired.

Deep Seven said:
I use Prime, mostly because it comes highly recommended by experienced aquarists, and it is the best value for gallons treated.

Cycle products can be effective for new tanks, helping establish proper bacteria allowing the tank to raise the bacteria colonies needed to eliminate fish waste before it becomes toxic for your fish. A healthy established tank shouldn't need any "Cycle" type products.

"Cycle" type products are also vulnerable to temperature extremes, and have expiry dates that may be overly optimistic. Often people buy these products and they're ineffective because they were frozen, overheated, or expired.

I use prime every pwc. I did use cycle to boost my tank when it stalled and it worked. All I can say is use it when needed not every change.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Funny story, I was in one of my LFS yesterday, and I looked at the Cycle stuff they were selling, and it was almost all expired. Really watch what you buy.

Deep Seven said:
Funny story, I was in one of my LFS yesterday, and I looked at the Cycle stuff they were selling, and it was almost all expired. Really watch what you buy.

Agreed. I ordered mine directly from NF.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom