Should I use a liquid fert and also root tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 25 gallon community tank with two red amazon sword plants that aren't doing very well. I've had them for a few months and they have been turning yellow/brown lately, starting with a little spot on the leaf and spreading until the whole leaf and stem die off.

I just learned that I need to cut off dying leaves (I am a serious noob to plant keeping) so that should help, but now I am wondering if I need to be using a liquid fertilizer along with the root tabs I currently use? I also dose Flourish excel, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Iron after my weekly water change but other than that, I don't add any liquid ferts.

Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to add, my tank parameters are as follows:
Temp: 79 degrees
pH: 7.6
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
I don't have a nitrate test yet so I don't know what those levels are. Will buy one at the lfs today.

Plant Fertilizers

I have a 25 gallon community tank with two red amazon sword plants that aren't doing very well. I've had them for a few months and they have been turning yellow/brown lately, starting with a little spot on the leaf and spreading until the whole leaf and stem die off.

I just learned that I need to cut off dying leaves (I am a serious noob to plant keeping) so that should help, but now I am wondering if I need to be using a liquid fertilizer along with the root tabs I currently use? I also dose Flourish excel, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Iron after my weekly water change but other than that, I don't add any liquid ferts.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello D...

If you have plants with roots in the bottom material, then root tabs would likely be helpful. Floating plants that take in nutrients from their leaves or those that are attached to pieces of driftwood and lava rock and aren't planted, would do well with a liquid fertilizer.

Light is probably the most important to your plants. It's the source of their energy. You must be meeting the lighting needs of the plants too.

B

Your Tank Water

Forgot to add, my tank parameters are as follows:
Temp: 79 degrees
pH: 7.6
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
I don't have a nitrate test yet so I don't know what those levels are. Will buy one at the lfs today.

Hello again D...

Tropical plants will do well in a wide range of water temperatures, 72 to 82 is fine for most aquatic plants. You should be changing a lot of tank water and doing it often. Water changes will replenish minerals the plants need for good health. If you have an established (cycled) tank and change half the tank water every week, in my opinion you don't need to test the tank water. Toxins need time to build to harmful levels. If you're constantly flushing pure treated tap water through the tank, then there's no time for toxins to build up to a harmful level before you remove them by performing a large water change.

B

B,
Thank you for the information. I do about 50% water change every Sunday and that is when I replenish all my liquid supplements like iron and potassium. As for lighting, I have a T-5 light but I can't remember how many watts, I will check when I get home.

Do you think it would be too much to add liquid fertilizer while using root tabs at the same time?

Dosing Fertilizers

B,
Thank you for the information. I do about 50% water change every Sunday and that is when I replenish all my liquid supplements like iron and potassium. As for lighting, I have a T-5 light but I can't remember how many watts, I will check when I get home.

Do you think it would be too much to add liquid fertilizer while using root tabs at the same time?

D...

Fertilizers can be expensive and if you dose too much, that can be more harmful than not dosing at all. If you have more plants planted in the bottom material, then just go with root tabs and use according to the instructions. The tabs will dissolve in the water and nourish any floating plants you have too. Remember that the fish are contributing to the nutrients for the plants too. So, you want to feed the fish a balanced diet.

My tank plants are mostly fed by the dissolved fish waste. I just feed my fish a good variety of food and they take care of feeding my plants.

B

D...

Fertilizers can be expensive and if you dose too much, that can be more harmful than not dosing at all. If you have more plants planted in the bottom material, then just go with root tabs and use according to the instructions. The tabs will dissolve in the water and nourish any floating plants you have too. Remember that the fish are contributing to the nutrients for the plants too. So, you want to feed the fish a balanced diet.

My tank plants are mostly fed by the dissolved fish waste. I just feed my fish a good variety of food and they take care of feeding my plants.

B

Ok, great. I will stick with root tabs and make sure I'm feeding my fish well. I have read that amazon swords are pretty heavy root feeders so I think root tabs are the way to go. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom