Should McDonald's be banned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. Health care. Obesity costs this country FAR more in health care costs and lost productivity than smoking.

2. Let's face it, McDonald's food is just plain bad for you - and obesity KILLS a lot of people each year.

3. Alright, so those people aren't offending my sense of smell, but a 500 lb McDonald's customer is just darned unpleasant to the eye.

4. McDonald's markets it's deadly products directly to children. Ronald McDonald will eventually kill far more kids than Joe Camel ever did.

Ok. Yes but the fact that someone else is obese does not effect my health. If someone lights up a cigarette next to me there is certainly a direct impact to me.

People are really going to hate me aren't they... I do agree. That's stuff is bad. I don't believe that the resteraunts themselves should be banned, but most, if not all, of the products they sell. You can get just as fat and sick from buying stuff at the grocery store. A lot of people(I'm trying not to generalize too much to offend less people) don't care about anything these days. They're too lazy(or busy so they say) to prepare their own food and or care about their health. I am glad that people are starting to realize some of the things are killing them and some people try to make a difference. I've been studying(internet :roll: ) health and food issues for a few years now, and stuff that I was reading was bad 3 years ago, are just now really being looked at by "health officials" and are being labeled as unhealthy. Hydrogenated oils being one of those things.
But just like with the smoking issue, it's all about revenue. Unfortunately there's no doing away with any of these problems.
I will say I am sorry if I offend anyone in this or the post about smoking. Human life is important to me. I care about people's well being.
When I read this title I was uncertain if this was a legitimate post or an attempt to be sarcastic towards my remarks in the smoking post... I'm still not sure... oh well. I do hope I don't aggrevate people too much.

IMO, the parents take the kids to McDonalds. Even though they market for kids, it's the parent's responsibility to feed other things. Burger joints are the exception, done once every 2 weeks or so in our house. Like anything else, stuff done in excess is bad. I find it hard to blame McDonalds for poor choices made by some.

As far as the 500 lb adults go, there may be other issues that keep them from eating right, so I won't go there. Maybe you and I have some better sense about weight gain, but some folks have problems we can never understand.

My two cents.... 8)

greenfish said:
Ok. Yes but the fact that someone else is obese does not effect my health. If someone lights up a cigarette next to me there is certainly a direct impact to me.

Eventually they will. Our health care system is very socialized. The sick are treated regardless of their ability to pay, so those costs are transferred to the taxpayers. The costs of health care related to obesity and the epidemic rise of related illnesses (the list is near endless, but diabetes is particularly costly, deadly, and rising at record rates) is staggerring. Health care costs are growing at 3-5 TIMES the rate of inflation, typically 12-18% annually. Though you don't typically see these costs, your employer does - and you're paying for it.

Whether you believe it or not, the ever-growing demand for health care will eventually affect the quality of care you receive.

Furthermore, there are studies that also show that second-hand smoke is harmless - or at least as harmless as breathing other toxins emitted in legal quantities, but I won't use this as an argument.

Exactly, I eat McDonald's occasionally and I'm not overweight or unhealthy. I'm 5'4" and 130lbs. What's the difference between me and someone who eats to the point where they literally tip the scales? I KNOW WHEN TO QUIT!!! It's not McDonald's fault.

PLUS, McDonalds is not all bad. Think of the people they employ. People with little education can get health insurance and money to survive and feed their kids and not suck off of the government. Think of the people who make the little boxes their food goes in. The people who make the chairs and tables, who paint the place, who construct the buildings, who make the toilet paper in the buildings, who process the meat, the truckers who truck the stuff to them, the people who make the McDonald's badges or clothes or aprons or hats.

Closing down McDonald's would affect FAR more people than you can imagine. The food may not be good if you overdo it, but McDonald's does FAR more good for the community than bad.

What about the Ronald McDonald houses? What would happen to the parents of the kids with cancer if they shut down? Will you let them stay in your house?

Capitalism is not necessarily a bad thing....

Umm. I am no longer going to post in this thread. It is obviously a rant. Clown Monarch you do have a point but.... I think you need to take a walk and calm down.

Clown Monarch said:
greenfish said:

Eventually they will. Our health care system is very socialized. The sick are treated regardless of their ability to pay, so those costs are transferred to the taxpayers.

The sick are definately treated regardless of their ability to pay. But, hospitals and doctors write of millions and millions and millions of dollars due to inability of people to pay. People say doctors and hospitals are all about money, but I certainly disagree with that. I have never turned down a patient when I worked in an ER or ever heard about another patient being turned away because of money.

The thing that upsets me is when people demand care even though they may not be sick. I had a family bring their kid to the ER once for a tic!Can't tell you how many people demand an antibiotic because of a viral infection - unbelievable!

The problem is much bigger than McDonalds. That's just one drop in the bucket.

Individual responsibility is going to the wayside.

Clown Monarch said:
3. Alright, so those people aren't offending my sense of smell, but a 500 lb McDonald's customer is just darned unpleasant to the eye.

Alright, I was just trying to come up with a counterpoint, austinsdad. But there are lots of things that are potentially offensive to everyone. I keep one thing in perspective - the great multitude of sights, smells, and sounds in this country, however offensive to me, are the sights, smells, and sounds of a free nation. Sometimes you have to give some leeway to your neighbor in a free state, and I don't mind doing it.

greenfish said:
Umm. I am no longer going to post in this thread. It is obviously a rant. Clown Monarch you do have a point but.... I think you need to take a walk and calm down.

It's not a rant, I just like to debate. To tell you the truth, I like the ban because I want my girlfriend to quit smoking. As far as I'm concerned, anything that encourages her to quit smoking is a good thing.

Danio35 said:
PLUS, McDonalds is not all bad. Think of the people they employ. People with little education can get health insurance and money to survive and feed their kids and not suck off of the government. Think of the people who make the little boxes their food goes in. The people who make the chairs and tables, who paint the place, who construct the buildings, who make the toilet paper in the buildings, who process the meat, the truckers who truck the stuff to them, the people who make the McDonald's badges or clothes or aprons or hats.

Closing down McDonald's would affect FAR more people than you can imagine. The food may not be good if you overdo it, but McDonald's does FAR more good for the community than bad.

What about the Ronald McDonald houses? What would happen to the parents of the kids with cancer if they shut down? Will you let them stay in your house?

The same could be said of the tobacco industry.

Clown Monarch said:
It's not a rant, I just like to debate. To tell you the truth, I like the ban because I want my girlfriend to quit smoking. As far as I'm concerned, anything that encourages her to quit smoking is a good thing.

Ok I appologize. Debate on. I just will choose to abstain.

Whoops did I just post in this thread when I said I wouldn't. :oops: :wink:

Clown Monarch said:
Danio35 said:

The same could be said of the tobacco industry.

Again, go capitalism and freedom of choice....

If no one has noticed, McDonald's has changed their marketing strategy and is geared more toward adults (The "I'm loving it" campaign). They make sure to emphasize the .99 cent menu. The children's campaign is and has always been the "Happy Meal".

I agree with Austinsdad that parents have a large measure of responsibility for what their children consume. Overindulging in anything cannot be good for you but greed often overtakes people.

BTW, the FDA and the SS Administration have recently recognized obesity as an illness.

As far as Mcdonalds and obesity goes. Two words....personal responsibility.
Just like that insane coffee spilling law suit several years ago, people need to quit placing blame on "evil" companies like this for the stupid things individuals do.
If you have a pulse and keep up with anything that goes on around your it should be known that this crap they pass off as food, is bad for you.
Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility!! If we don't get this back...well, we are in trouble.
Sorry, that kind of stuff makes me nuts....end of rant. :oops:

Personal responsibility in this country is as dead as the dodo.

The word of the day is "personal injury lawsuit" - it's the new American dream.

1. Health care. Obesity costs this country FAR more in health care costs and lost productivity than smoking.

2. Let's face it, McDonald's food is just plain bad for you - and obesity KILLS a lot of people each year.

4. McDonald's markets it's deadly products directly to children. Ronald McDonald will eventually kill far more kids than Joe Camel ever did.

1. Health care costs are so high in part for all the greedy people and laywers out there who like to file class action lawsuits or frivilous lawsuits. All those multimillon dollar awards cost us money in the end.

2. No one forces anyone to purchase food from McDonalds or any other resturant. Its our responsbility to eat and purchase foods from where we chose. Clearly alot of people chose to eat there and they must face the end result.

3. There are many other reasons someone would be grossly obese. Ever hear of genetic disorders that cause the body to have a very out of wack metabolisum? U think its just junk food or empty calories that have to do with obesity? Stress, enviormental issues, genetic issues are all important factors aswell.

4. So. Its the role of the parent to teach their children responsible eating habits not a resturant, store or anyone else for that fact.

Now I know the state of VA has either recently passed or is working on passing a bill that will make it unlawful to file a lawsuit in the state of VA where people claim their health status was the result of a resturant. IE sewing a fastfood business because your vastly overweight and you ate there two times a day for the last 20 years.

Mcdonalds is being singled out here clearly. Is Burgerking, Wendys, Arbys, Hardees, Roy Rodgers, TasteFreeze, or any of the hundreds of other fast food chains any more healthy? Not really. Its all a part of the choices one makes on a daily basis. In the end the only person to blame for the food you eat is yourself. Only people whom can cry fowl as to what they are being forced to eat are babies, extremely disabled, and I suppose inmates.

fishfreek said:
Now I know the state of VA has either recently passed or is working on passing a bill that will make it unlawful to file a lawsuit in the state of VA where people claim their health status was the result of a resturant. IE sewing a fastfood business because your vastly overweight and you ate there two times a day for the last 20 years.

I'm VERY anti-lawsuit so this sits just fine with me. Would you also support an anti-litigation bill as it concerns lawsuits against tabacco companies?

The word of the day is "personal injury lawsuit" - it's the new American dream.
I agree, sick as it is. The only way IMO to stop it is for juror's (us) to make a stand and start telling the personal injury lawyers...NO in the courtrooms.
I know, like thats gonna happen. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom