Should my oscar eat freeze dried bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, my fiance got these at the store. When I brought it up, I was referring to live bloodworms... Will these hurt our 2 in. oscar?
As always, thank you!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_005131.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_005131.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20130720_005156.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_005156.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 86
Oh, he eats nls 1mm pellets daily, sorry about the multiple pics, app being crazy

I've only given them once since he bought them early this week =) How often for the bw?

I've only given them once since he bought them early this week =) How often for the bw?

Nls daily, bw every 2 to 3 days also once he is a bit bigger 4-5 inches he can eat rosie reds small ones once a week and a cricket or 2 once a week just dont over feed. Practice feeding by hand as well! Its amazing

how often do you give the pellets daily? I've read juvies eat up to 3 times a day, that right?

I've been feeding nls what he can eat in a min. or 2 ( about 4 or 5 1 mm pellets) at least twice daily, sometimes 3x because I read that online, that too much?

ok, and if it's a bloodworm day then nls one time bw the second time? I can't hardly start a thread w/o pics btw, it's dark, but he won't let me turn on the led light, ever.. he sulks =) thanks for your help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_011622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_011622.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 72
ok, and if it's a bloodworm day then nls one time bw the second time? I can't hardly start a thread w/o pics btw, it's dark, but he won't let me turn on the led light, ever.. he sulks =) thanks for your help!

He is nice! When its bw day, feed the nls as normal because thats his main staple. Then at around 6 hours from feeding his normal nls, give him a pinch of bw

I'm getting a 125 this weekend, with fish.. severums. I plan on keeping the O in a 55 grow out til about 4.5 in. (I think 5x5 advised that ) I have JD, FM, jewel, 2 convicts. I will probably get rid of all but one sev, maybe one con too (or jewel, mine is horrible fin nippr) orrr.. put cons in my 30g.. Anyway, how do I handle the new tank and fish? just fill her up, wc when necessary and observe 15 days and if sev and parameters look good I can add in my guys? I have melafix and the stuff in the pic, says you can treat new fish with it, would you use one of those?

ok pic didn't work

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_020625.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_020625.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 60
haleybeth30 said:
Hi, my fiance got these at the store. When I brought it up, I was referring to live bloodworms... Will these hurt our 2 in. oscar?
As always, thank you!

I'd recommend getting away from bloodworms as part of the oscars diet in general. They are harder on the digestive system and can lead to problems over time. Tetra is also one of the lower quality brands for freeze dried food as well.

One container is not big deal, but once this container of blood worms are gone, i'd feed the Oscar NLS pellets exclusively.

haleybeth30 said:
I'm getting a 125 this weekend, with fish.. severums. I plan on keeping the O in a 55 grow out til about 4.5 in. (I think 5x5 advised that ) I have JD, FM, jewel, 2 convicts. I will probably get rid of all but one sev, maybe one con too (or jewel, mine is horrible fin nippr) orrr.. put cons in my 30g.. Anyway, how do I handle the new tank and fish? just fill her up, wc when necessary and observe 15 days and if sev and parameters look good I can add in my guys? I have melafix and the stuff in the pic, says you can treat new fish with it, would you use one of those?

That plan generally sounds right. I assume this is an established tank you are buying from someone? If that is the case, is it coming with the existing filter?

From a quarantine perspective, 15 days is fine before adding your fish in with the severums. You just need to make sure you are able to maintain the tanks nitrogen cycle through the move.

I agree NLS only. If you feel you need to give a treat maybe a few frozen blood worms once every 2 weeks or even once a month.

Back
Top Bottom