Should this algae stay or go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to ponds this year and not quite sure if I should be removing this or not. The algae is green and grows mostly within the floating plants roots. I've been removing and and end up with a nice big ball of green that if it was from sw I think my tang would love it. Anyway, do goldfish eat it or should I just keep removing it? If it's not clear what I'm talking about I can post a pic.
In the meantime, here is my ~500 gal pond I just started in July.

pond.jpg

pond2.jpg

It is alot of work to just keep removing it, Is it stringy algea? I get that in my pond sometimes. It looks like your pond is in direct sunlight, algea's favorite spot. May I suggest a nice tree planted on one side to block the sun. A japanese maple would look great there by the edge of the pond. If the water is a greenish colour try a UV sterilizer. the pobd looks good, and your fish should be ok, and most do not eat algae. I am sorry i wasn't much of a help.

Good luck

As long as it is on the surfaces, and not clouding your water I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't like the look, take it out. If not, just leave it in.

Your goldfish probably nibble on it, but not to any noticeable extent.

Is it stringy algea?

Yep, thats it. I just didn't know if it was good/bad for the oxygen or if the fish ate it or what. I already have a UV so the water is not green at all.

I just got the fish to eat for the first time a day or two ago (I've had them about 3 weeks now). So thats why I thought maybe they were eating it. I like to putz around the pond anyway - move rocks around etc - so I actually kind of enjoy removing it. We'll see how long that lasts though :)

Thanks for the help!

Nicely done layout around the pond. If the algae is undesirable,I would suggest adding more floating plants to block the sun and compete with the algae for nutrients. This works for me every season and my pond is in the sun all day. I get 2 or 3 water hyacinths in early spring. In a matter of 3 weeks the surface is covered with the flowering plants.Good food source as well. Fish love to eat the roots.

Thank you!
For the floating plants... I bought 2 hyacinths in July and then a week or so later bought a couple of water lettuce. They've both multiplied a lot more from even the pictures above and the algae growth has slowed.

Back
Top Bottom