Show off your Betta(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone I've always wanted a Betta. What size tank would be best for one? I won't to make sure I have the right sized tank and have it cycled.
I currently have a 90 tank with three goldfish but have always wanted to have a Betta. Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi everyone I've always wanted a Betta. What size tank would be best for one? I won't to make sure I have the right sized tank and have it cycled.
I currently have a 90 tank with three goldfish but have always wanted to have a Betta. Thanks for your help :)

IMO no less than a 2.5g tank preferably a 5g+. With filter and a heater! It's a common misconception outside this forum that bettas don't need that when in reality they at least need the heater. Bettas like temperatures around 80 degrees. Sandy substrate is preferred but many use gravel. Silk plants or live are welcome. Plastic plants are Nono. The reasoning for all that is to protect those beautiful fins, sharp gravel and plastic plants can damage their fins.

Caleb

Thanks for replying. I will make sure I get the bigger tank. I really appreciate your help. Will send photos once the tank is set up :) won't be for a while but as will need to cycle tank first.
Thanks again for your help :)

IMO no less than a 2.5g tank preferably a 5g+. With filter and a heater! It's a common misconception outside this forum that bettas don't need that when in reality they at least need the heater. Bettas like temperatures around 80 degrees. Sandy substrate is preferred but many use gravel. Silk plants or live are welcome. Plastic plants are Nono. The reasoning for all that is to protect those beautiful fins, sharp gravel and plastic plants can damage their fins.

Caleb

Yahooandgoogle-

I would take these tips and apply them. I took what I learned from this guy, and a few others well versed with Bettas, applied what I learned and Koga couldn't be happier!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433898215.477229.jpg

New fish.

Just found this cool guy in the LFS, a real gem. She says he's a Super Delta. I have only seen him flare out once and it's spectacular, his fins are so long. Of course I didn't have my phone to snap a picture though.

uploadfromtaptalk1434074767815.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434074875226.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just found this cool guy in the LFS, a real gem. She says he's a Super Delta. I have only seen him flare out once and it's spectacular, his fins are so long. Of course I didn't have my phone to snap a picture though.

View attachment 273599View attachment 273600

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Glad you found me at the LFS :D ^^^

But really he's pretty!

Caleb

If you wanna wait a few weeks, I can sell you one of my Bettas that I bred :)

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

5G is a great size for a Betta! They love to have some kind of plant floating on the top to rest in, like Elodea aka water weed-. They are great companions.

Here is my brand new 2.5 gal Betta tank, it is a work in progress.

1504995_1404974699832632_2253178685086875202_n.jpg

Betta Bob says hi! He loves his Leaf Hammock :)
11535793_1404974753165960_2421730814913096514_n.jpg

How cool is that left hammock where did you get that?
I'm still trying to decided on a tank. Looking at a 5g one :)

Thanks guys! The leaf hammock was from ZooMed I believe. I picked it up at my LFS for a couple bucks but I bet you could find it at a big box store too like Petco/Petsmart.

*warning* If you get one of those, there is a small metal wire inside that I highly suggest removing before putting in the tank. I've read reviews from people who said that over time the metal somehow became exposed and started to rust. I opened the leaf up at the tip, and removed mine before putting it in the tank, and I've had no problems. It's still strong enough for Bob to rest on it, but no potential for rust now!

I don't have any live plants in there yet but I am absolutely planning on it. I am actually going to be putting live plants in all my tanks now that I have been keeping healthy and thriving fish for about 8 months now with no losses, I figure I can start caring for some low maintenance plants and get a nice ecosystem in there for my fish. I just need to do some more research and saving up for co2 systems and whatnot.

Thanks guys! The leaf hammock was from ZooMed I believe. I picked it up at my LFS for a couple bucks but I bet you could find it at a big box store too like Petco/Petsmart.

*warning* If you get one of those, there is a small metal wire inside that I highly suggest removing before putting in the tank. I've read reviews from people who said that over time the metal somehow became exposed and started to rust. I opened the leaf up at the tip, and removed mine before putting it in the tank, and I've had no problems. It's still strong enough for Bob to rest on it, but no potential for rust now!

I don't have any live plants in there yet but I am absolutely planning on it. I am actually going to be putting live plants in all my tanks now that I have been keeping healthy and thriving fish for about 8 months now with no losses, I figure I can start caring for some low maintenance plants and get a nice ecosystem in there for my fish. I just need to do some more research and saving up for co2 systems and whatnot.

You don't even need co2 just a decent light fixture with a good PAR or some T5 bulbs. And fertilizers of course

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom