Show off your Betta(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He really is! Never saw one like him.

Does anyone have any tips on breeding them? Do you need anything in particular? Just curious really :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous!! Beautiful silver colour, what's his name?

Dirty Frank! (my daughter named him after a Pearl Jam song about a cannibal) And thank you very much! He gets a deep red/turquoise/lavender thing going too! I think he is marvelous! Very metallic and changes colors with his mood quickly!

Dirty Frank! (my daughter named him after a Pearl Jam song about a cannibal) And thank you very much! He gets a deep red/turquoise/lavender thing going too! I think he is marvelous! Very metallic and changes colors with his mood quickly!

I have an albino bristlenose Pleco named Dirty Frank! Also after the song.

Thanks all. Yeah my guy is pretty cool. Never saw that coloration before. Someone told me it was called Mustard Gas. So I call him Joe. After GI Joe. He finally ate tonight. Must really love his new bigger tank!!

Attachments

• image-2056691610.jpg
    image-2056691610.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 138
Amazing! I am loving all the bettas on this thread! Wish I could take them ALL home! LOL

Well I finally got pics of mine. The camera was willing, the bettas, well they all had other plans!

The first is Pic My Lady Guinevere....she WOULD NOT hold still so this was all I got in 10 pics Favorite food...anything! Home...in the 10gal. planted. Hobbies....Upending snails, cuz hey there might be something to eat under there! Very smart and very active!

Second pic is my newest addition Thor. Haven't figured out Thor just yet. But he is curious and will watch you watching him.And when I tidied up his house with tweezers and suction, he was right there watching as if interested and not afraid. *Favorite food so far.... Betta flakes.... Home 3 gal bowl that was rejected by Bogart. Hobbies...observing all I can see.

Third pic is my boy Bogart. He was my first betta after many years and eats from my hand. was initially shy but now he has a a very calm personality. (Except when he catches glimpse of Gottfried) Favorite food.....Blood worms and feeder minnows. Home.... old Goldfish bowl. He has been tried in Many other tanks and bowls, and hates all but this stupid bowl! He gets frantic in the big tank, as well as any bowl but this abomination! Hobbies....cruising my turf, Gottfried may flare at anytime, gotta be ready!

The last pic is Gottfried, and he is hard to get a pic of as he is deep purple, except the tips of his pecs, vents, and his dorsal, which are red, orange, yellow to white tips. He is still young and very active. He shows some aggression now as he is staking claim to his home. Favorite food... blood worms. Home in a 3gal. He does not like the planted tank at all. Prefers his solitude. Hobbies....being alone and LOVIN' it! Oh yeah there IS Bogart....

Attachments

• PTDC0408.jpg
    PTDC0408.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 132
  • PTDC0412.jpg
    PTDC0412.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 124
  • PTDC0422.jpg
    PTDC0422.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 120
  • PTDC0423.jpg
    PTDC0423.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 139
My buddy, Bennett
He sits on my desk and waits for me to do homework, if I start to pay more attention to my math than him then he flairs up at me :huh: You would think he is attention deprived by how much he begs! (please excuse the algae problem.) :eek:

Attachments

• 2013-03-12_17-38-59_902.jpg
    2013-03-12_17-38-59_902.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 2013-03-12_17-39-08_721.jpg
    2013-03-12_17-39-08_721.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 2013-03-12_17-39-18_809.jpg
    2013-03-12_17-39-18_809.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 147
I will be sure to post new photos as they grow... It's the first time Ive had fry... I had the bubble nest in a breeding box as I didn't have anything else when they hatched they where so small they fell out the small slits into the main tank and got eaten :( I put white filter over holes and these 2 have survived so far they are 3 times bigger now but still less than 1 cm long... I'm so excited lol

This must be a rare occurrence for betta keepers to breed. I've read that the female ends up killing the male before anything can happen. Do you keep the separate now?

Woo! My LFS owner is ordering me some halfmoon and crowntail females! Going to try and get a sorority set up in my 56 gallon.

This must be a rare occurrence for betta keepers to breed. I've read that the female ends up killing the male before anything can happen. Do you keep the separate now?

They both live in the same tank, I never expected them to breed and all I had was the breeding box that I use for sick fish, after they put eggs in nest the male chased her off so I put him and the eggs in the box and when the fry came out I removed male... The male is the boss and chases female only a short distance and he never hurts her, she runs and hides... When they where breeding there was no aggression just lots of curling up They mated for about 5 hours Lots of eggs but most got lost or eaten :)

I just read in another sit that the male picks up any eggs that have fallen to the floor of the tank and brings them up to the egg nest. The discussion was if to use a substrate on the floor of the tank as it may confuse the male betta distinguishing the eggs from the substrate. They never mentioned a breeding box.

I looked up on Google and this is what I found for info on breeding bettas:

5 Ways to Breed Betta Fish - wikiHow

Possibly one of the best fish names I have herd yet!! What a great find. :)

Possibly one of the best fish names I have herd yet!! What a great find. :)

Why thank you very much! She is quite creative, I let her name at least one in each tank! She is always good for a laugh. Dirty Frank is very colored up today! He changes his colors more than you would think possible! He is like a mood ring lol

I just read in another sit that the male picks up any eggs that have fallen to the floor of the tank and brings them up to the egg nest. The discussion was if to use a substrate on the floor of the tank as it may confuse the male betta distinguishing the eggs from the substrate. They never mentioned a breeding box.

Ha yes having a tank setup for breeding is the way to do it but this wasn't a planed breeding and I have other fish in the tank... They started breeding so I put a plastic cap in for him to make the bubble nest and put a breeding box underneath to catch the eggs he then went down and gathered them up and put in the nest my other fish did eat some, to help protect them from the other fish I kept them in a live bearer breeding box... It's the best I could do and I've got 2 fry yay

Yes but I had to use what I had use what I had... It wasn't a planed breeding

Why thank you very much! She is quite creative, I let her name at least one in each tank! She is always good for a laugh. Dirty Frank is very colored up today! He changes his colors more than you would think possible! He is like a mood ring lol

Haha, he sounds great!! The Betta mood ring, I want one :)

I showed him his reflection an he did not like it at all haha. I have never seen a fish look so angry at himself XD

Attachments

• image-1973352020.jpg
    image-1973352020.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 142
They are very territorial, so he wants to make it clear who is the owner of this part of the aquarium lol.

Back
Top Bottom