Show off your Betta(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some more pictures of my new guy flaring (I have no idea what to name him!). I thought he was a HM until he flared and now I'm questioning if he is a RT. What do you guys think?

I have HM/double tail boy and he looks very similar. Yours is GORGEOUS!!!! Is it charcoal-black coloration or is it just the camera? I've never seen HM this color. My black Ninja is CT, I think they are little more common to have that coloration, at least that's what I've seen around here. Yours is very unique and absolutely beautiful!!!!

My little bad to the bone mutt Orion again. He is a mean one, tore a ghost shrimp almost in half, killed an amano, has a little scar on his face from his days when he hated his snail buddy and tried to have a go at him. He even attacks my finger sometimes. He wants NOTHING near that tank. He even flares at my gf when she gets near the tank XD. Lol

image-3893582428.jpg

image-1873310865.jpg

I have HM/double tail boy and he looks very similar. Yours is GORGEOUS!!!! Is it charcoal-black coloration or is it just the camera? I've never seen HM this color. My black Ninja is CT, I think they are little more common to have that coloration, at least that's what I've seen around here. Yours is very unique and absolutely beautiful!!!!

He has a steely blue color to him with hints of rose.

Brand new halfmoon from Petsmart :) Is it just me, or does it look like maybe he's had some fin rot? I'm rather new to bettas... He's now in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter :)

Attachments

• image-479348377.jpg
    image-479348377.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2447714568.jpg
    image-2447714568.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 107
Brand new halfmoon from Petsmart :) Is it just me, or does it look like maybe he's had some fin rot? I'm rather new to bettas... He's now in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter :)

He's actually a delta rather than a half moon. Petstores mislable cups like it's going out of style.
But yeah, he does look like he's got some fin rot, and ammonia burn, see the holes in his tail? That's one of the biggest signs of it in males. I know it's from his cup and not you, but make sure to keep his water extra clean to help him heal up faster.

I also saw a couple pages back that someone asked about separating males. With my breeders I either have them in 2.5 gallons to themselves, or split 10 gallons into 4 sections with regular dividers and/or craft mesh the DIY way. They get used to seeing each other and will eventually stop getting worked up, the only time mine do it anymore is at lights on. For my young guys I just stick them in deli containers and float them next to each other in a huge tub. No issues with them seeing each other either. Never, ever, put multiple males in te same tank though, after breeding the fry can and should grow up together but you should start pulling and seperating your males as soon As you notice them having stand-offs and never allow it again. Some people are able to pull off multiple males in the same tank, but the large majority of us would fail miserably. I've had males jump dividers and kill each other within 20 minutes in my years, quite a few times, I can't imagine purposely letting them live together

So, I've had this blue/red female(?) for about two months now. When I first got it it was VERY aggressive and used to waggle and flare lots at the other females, but since has lived with 9 females and all is well and calm.

It has a very large dorsal fin for a "female" and it's anal fin is also a bit longer. It's pectoral fins are also quite long. Please note these were all supposed to be Veiltail females...

The egg spot is, well, I don't know. There's something there. Kind of? I'm having a very hard time with this fish.

Maybe a plakat male? Maybe a difficult plakat female?

Let me know what you think! Either way I want to breed it, I just need to know what to breed it with!

http://youtu.be/whhuXt3LlXw

On ANOTHER note, I found this guy in my local online classifieds for $10!

I think he's a halfmoon but its hard to tell as I have yet to get him to display.

He's still very pretty and I'm excited to have found him.

Attachments

• image-4286521264.jpg
    image-4286521264.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image-4271775097.jpg
    image-4271775097.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2919696203.jpg
    image-2919696203.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3443462871.jpg
    image-3443462871.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3574478344.jpg
    image-3574478344.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 94
So, I've had this blue/red female(?) for about two months now. When I first got it it was VERY aggressive and used to waggle and flare lots at the other females, but since has lived with 9 females and all is well and calm.

It has a very large dorsal fin for a "female" and it's anal fin is also a bit longer. It's pectoral fins are also quite long. Please note these were all supposed to be Veiltail females...

The egg spot is, well, I don't know. There's something there. Kind of? I'm having a very hard time with this fish.

Maybe a plakat male? Maybe a difficult plakat female?

Let me know what you think! Either way I want to breed it, I just need to know what to breed it with!

Blue Betta Fish - YouTube

Definitely a VT female, some just have fins that grow much longer than your average VT girls, and some tend to be a bit more aggressive. I've had VT girls with 1/2" tails before. It was insane. Some egg spots are more pronounced than others as well. They usually become well pronounced when they are conditioned well and full of eggs, which your girl looks like she's not. Have you checked for a beard? females usually don't have one, or if they do it's very small, males have very pronounced ones, you'd have to get her to flare to find this out though.

I think he's a halfmoon but its hard to tell as I have yet to get him to display.

Oh yeah, he's definitely a halfmoon, and a gorgeous one at that. Good form and finnage, and his butterfly pattern is almost perfect. Only issue is some rose-tailing, which can possibly lead to x-factor fry if you decide to breed him.

Sorry for the critique, I forgot that this thread was to show off your bettas, not to breed them

Definitely a VT female, some just have fins that grow much longer than your average VT girls, and some tend to be a bit more aggressive. I've had VT girls with 1/2" tails before. It was insane. Some egg spots are more pronounced than others as well. They usually become well pronounced when they are conditioned well and full of eggs, which your girl looks like she's not. Have you checked for a beard? females usually don't have one, or if they do it's very small, males have very pronounced ones, you'd have to get her to flare to find this out though.

She used to flare all the time but does not very often anymore. I'll have to keep an eye out for a beard next time I'm fish watching. :)

Oh yeah, he's definitely a halfmoon, and a gorgeous one at that. Good form and finnage, and his butterfly pattern is almost perfect. Only issue is some rose-tailing, which can possibly lead to x-factor fry if you decide to breed him.

X-factor as in random tailed fry?

I guess now is the time to search for an HM female. What color female should I look for that will work well with his type? I'm not a huge fan Of the red/purple, but I still think he is very pretty and I like that he's a butterfly.

X-factor as in random tailed fry?

I guess now is the time to search for an HM female. What color female should I look for that will work well with his type? I'm not a huge fan Of the red/purple, but I still think he is very pretty and I like that he's a butterfly.

No, x-factor means that it'll have messed up scales. Instead of uniform rows of scales that fish are supposed to have, x-factored bettas will have some missing in places, or the rows will be off and their ventrals tend to be extremely short and stubby.

This is why rose tails tend to be avoided among betta breeders. Once you stick a RT in a line, if it had the x-factor geno, then you'll have atleast 5 generations if fixing your line.

No, x-factor means that it'll have messed up scales. Instead of uniform rows of scales that fish are supposed to have, x-factored bettas will have some missing in places, or the rows will be off and their ventrals tend to be extremely short and stubby.

This is why rose tails tend to be avoided among betta breeders. Once you stick a RT in a line, if it had the x-factor geno, then you'll have atleast 5 generations if fixing your line.

Oh wow okay. Thanks for explaining, that's very good to know!

Omg!!!! What a stunning beauty!!!!

He's actually a delta rather than a half moon. Petstores mislable cups like it's going out of style.
But yeah, he does look like he's got some fin rot, and ammonia burn, see the holes in his tail? That's one of the biggest signs of it in males. I know it's from his cup and not you, but make sure to keep his water extra clean to help him heal up faster.

Oh a delta? I had my heart set on a half moon haha! :) He's still beautiful to me though.
I'll keep his water extra clean! Thank you very much :) He's looking good today!

Attachments

• image-1587970844.jpg
    image-1587970844.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 89

What about dumbos? I'm considering buying this female to pair with him. I know NOTHING of dumbo genetics, let alone ,inch genetics...

Would any of the fry have the butterfly pattern? How many (if any) would inherit the dumbo pectorals?

Attachments

• image-2788433488.jpg
    image-2788433488.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom