Show off your pearl gouramis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhiann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Haha did I spell that right? I have a 20 gallon tank with a docile male betta, six African Dwarf Frogs, and a handful of harlequin rasboras. It's a peaceful and well-planted tank. Someone suggested a pair of pearl gouramis to top it off. I don't know if gouramis would be too crowded in there, or if they have the right personalities and water requirements to fit in. Any thoughts? Also, I'd love to see some pictures, if you have Pearl gouramis!

Too small for a Pearl Gourami. And Bettas and Gouramis fight. They are both Labrynth fish and they both like the same territory.

I wouldn't do a pair in less than 40 breeder.

I'm glad you're asking about this instead of just going out and buying a fish.

LA says 30g minimum for one. I agree. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+966&pcatid=966

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well thanks. The person who suggested it said totally different stuff, but it seemed to me like they're way too big. They sound like great fish, though, so I'll keep them in mind if I get a bigger tank in the future. My frogs aren't great swimmers, so I wouldn't want a community tank bigger (well, higher) than a 20 long right now.

I have 4 African Dwarf Frogs but not mixed with my fish. I have two males in a 10 gallon and two females in a separate 10 gal. I've been discouraged from putting fish and frogs together since the needs of the frogs are different than those of fish, especially feeding needs and water parameters.
ADF's aren't great swimmers but they also have bad eyesight. They really can't see well enough to find their food so placing them with fish might mean their food gets stolen by the fish.
I hand feed all of mine to make sure they get enough to eat.
I too have a docile make Betta, in fact he LOVES being with the frogs but because of all the differences in feeding and water params I had to separate them. It's worked out though because my all are doing great!(knock on wood)

Last edited:
What differences in water parameters are you talking about? I'm interested to hear more about that. I don't have any feeding problems with my frogs and betta because I feed each frog live worms with a dropper, or I feed them all together after putting my betta in a floating baby tank.

The frogs have different ph requirements than some fish, prefer calmer water than some filters will allow for, differing water temps, water hardness requirements, are slow moving and usually non-aggressive. In a tank where frogs are mixed with fish there's the possibility of frogs nipping on fins(just like they nip other frogs because they don't see well) and if fish are aggressive frogs lose hands, feet or limbs.
Of course they can adapt but they do so much better in their own tank. They're nocturnal, lights go out and they'll swim and play together all night.
It's great that you take time to feed them the worms by hand. Some people just dump their food in when the fish eat and the frogs end up going hungry.
My male Betta loves the frogs too but after watching them nip each other accidentally, I moved Rocky in with the other fish and the frogs have homes to themselves.
I belong to-two great Yahoo groups one is AfricanDwarfFrogs and the other froggyfriends. The moderators are awesome and if you have any issues they'll work night and day with you!! They've taught me so much.

Back
Top Bottom