Show off your ten gallon or smaller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 10g divided betta/frog tank. The betta on the left is a female, Phoebe. The betta on the right is a male, Louis.

ForumRunner_20120616_190042.jpg

ForumRunner_20120616_190052.jpg

ForumRunner_20120616_190107.jpg

smomus said:
My 10g divided betta/frog tank. The betta on the left is a female, Phoebe. The betta on the right is a male, Louis.

VERY COOL can the frogs move side to side?

They aren't supposed to, but sometimes they get through. Not sure how yet lol

smomus said:
They aren't supposed to, but sometimes they get through. Not sure how yet lol

What do they eat? And do they just stay under water? And how do they do with fish? Lots of questions because you have interested me :p

I have 4 of them, 2 on each side. The little dishes in the front..that's where they are fed. They have learned that's where their food is. They are 100% aquatic. Can't take them out and no need for a basking island or anything. However, the tank should be shorter because they do need to surface for air. I fed them this..

ForumRunner_20120616_200953.jpg

The bettas have to be fed first or they steal from the frogs. Then once or twice a week they get frozen blood worms. And are fasted on Sundays. Just like fish. I soak the food for a few minutes in tank water then put it on the plates for them with a turkey baster.

Oh and as for the fish, at first one of the betta was curious and poked at them and followed them around and the other just ignored them. Now they all pretty much ignore one another. Sometimes, on the way to the surface a frog crashes into the fish, and it looks at the frog like, what the heck!? But i've never seen any aggression. However, I have read where the betta will attack the frogs to the point of killing them. so hopefully you can get a docile betta like mine. I've had 3 different betta with the frogs and have never had a problem (other then when first introducing the frogs, and they were getting acquainted).

I think I'm going to invest in that setup! It looks amazing and I love ADF and Bettas. And about the ADF food, you can feed them bloodworms, shrimp pellets (like the kind for bottom feeders) or frog food.

I think I'm going to invest in that setup! It looks amazing and I love ADF and Bettas. And about the ADF food, you can feed them bloodworms, shrimp pellets (like the kind for bottom feeders) or frog food.

Good to know! I will have to get them some of that too so I can vary their diet. :thanks:
As for the tank I had some suggestions (mostly from Mumma.of.two) on how to set things up. First of all, the divider is a diy so that it was cheaper. The how-to is from this site...
Simple Canvas Betta Tank Divider

Also, betta and frogs dont like the higher flow filters. I used to put some nylon on the filter, but it would always clog up and slow the output considerably. Mumma.of.two suggested to try this...
Step-By-Step Filter Baffle
This way the flow of the water doesn't disturb the animals and it still has the regular output. I've noticed that my betta utilize more of the tank and the frogs are out in the open more.

I have froggies in mine too !! :) here she is, ten gallon planted. 1 honey gourami, 2 black male guppies, 3 harlequin rasbora, 4 neon tetra. Amano shrimp and 2 frogs (1 normal African dwarf and one albino African dwarf--- not albino clawed)

Attachments

• image-832719769.jpg
    image-832719769.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 348
  • image-1228832076.jpg
    image-1228832076.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 320
  • image-3062026946.jpg
    image-3062026946.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 311
  • image-1810540665.jpg
    image-1810540665.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 309
  • image-1312116941.jpg
    image-1312116941.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 353
This is cool but how much are the frogs usually-ish? Also would like 2 dwarfed gouramis 1 frog and a couple tetras work for a ten?

This is mine 10g planted with

1xbetta
6xneons
1xsnail
3xamano shrimp
2xadf

I love them they are fun!

Attachments

• image-197699406.jpg
    image-197699406.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 353
  • image-1164708693.jpg
    image-1164708693.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 294
  • image-303658929.jpg
    image-303658929.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 268
TenaciousTriggerFish said:
This is cool but how much are the frogs usually-ish? Also would like 2 dwarfed gouramis 1 frog and a couple tetras work for a ten?

I can't remember for sure. Under $5 I believe

TenaciousTriggerFish said:

Dwarf gourami are too big for a ten gallon and are much too aggressive to keep in pairs. With dwarves I actually use the same rule as with betta- if they are boys keep them separated, always.

Gourami that are good for a 10 gallon are-
Honey gourami
Sparkling/pygmy/croaking gourami.

My frogs were also about 5$ Canadian, I got them at my local big als. They can be hard to feed depending on what else is in the tank. It's always best to do a pile of research before adding anything- for example dwarf frogs are extremely stupid. I love mine but they really are slow witted. Food will be literally touching their nose and they won't have a clue. They are hard to feed because the fish have eaten and finished every scrap before the frogs have even realized its dinner time.

My stock for a ten gallon is:

1 honey gourami
2 male guppies
3 harlequin rasbora
4 neon tetra
Amano shrimp
And the two dwarf frogs.

Luna09 said:
My frogs were also about 5$ Canadian, I got them at my local big als. They can be hard to feed depending on what else is in the tank. It's always best to do a pile of research before adding anything- for example dwarf frogs are extremely stupid. I love mine but they really are slow witted. Food will be literally touching their nose and they won't have a clue. They are hard to feed because the fish have eaten and finished every scrap before the frogs have even realized its dinner time.

What have you found as the best way to feed them? My betta literally gorge their selves before the frogs even realize..
I feed the betta first, but that doesn't always work. I'm afraid one day my betta may pop.

smomus said:
What have you found as the best way to feed them? My betta literally gorge their selves before the frogs even realize..
I feed the betta first, but that doesn't always work. I'm afraid one day my betta may pop.

I haven't figured that out yet either :S

Back
Top Bottom