Shrimp advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I been wanting to start a shrimp tank for a while but I never could find any. Now I have been reading some threads and I have some questions!
What is biofilm I read they eat it but I don't understand?

Do you have to use RO water to have rcs?

I already have a 7 g running
With black sand
Malaysian driftwood
Sponge filter!

Currently is cycled houses a female betta( I will move her when I get rcs)

Tommrow I plan on purchasing some bulbs at Walmart to grow some plants Phillips 60w daylight deluxe! I'd anybody suggests a different bulb just let me know !
I will have mostly low light plants

what else do I need to know????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like the tank is right for them. Is this tank planted?

Biofilm is what grows on the leaves, glass, basically any surface in the tank. The shrimp eat the microorganisms that grow, aka biofilm. I keep RCS in my 5.5 planted just fine and use dechlorinated tap water for WC's. Shrimp are easy, they like to have an established tank (3+ months running) and live plants.

Biofilm is what grows on the leaves, glass, basically any surface in the tank. The shrimp eat the microorganisms that grow, aka biofilm. I keep RCS in my 5.5 planted just fine and use dechlorinated tap water for WC's. Shrimp are easy, they like to have an established tank (3+ months running) and live plants.

Ok I have the plants for it in my main tank I just need to get a light tommrow then I will add the plants! Then the film can start growing on them! I plan on getting some cholla wood to! I only have anubias, what other low light plants do they like?

Shrimp aren't particular about plants.

I don't even use RO in my CRS tank. I've found it's best to check with the seller/breeder about what type of water the shrimp are kept in prior to purchase.

Things like leaves, cholla wood, etc help with biofilm. Shrimp will constantly pick at it.

Ok I have the plants for it in my main tank I just need to get a light tommrow then I will add the plants! Then the film can start growing on them! I plan on getting some cholla wood to! I only have anubias, what other low light plants do they like?

And when it warms up do you know of a good place to order some? Nowhere around me sales them

Anubias is great. As far as other plants it really depends on what you like and can gets your hands on. In my main shrimp tank I have dwarf sad, subwasstertang, a marimo ball plus floating baby tears and salvinia minima. It's fun to watch shrimp hanging upside down from floating plants.

Lots of shrimp on Aquabid, if you go that route just be very careful and read seller's feedback. Ms Jinkzd has very good quality fish and shrimp. I've purchased from Live Fins a few times, reasonable prices that include shipping.

Anubias is great. As far as other plants it really depends on what you like and can gets your hands on. In my main shrimp tank I have dwarf sad, subwasstertang, a marimo ball plus floating baby tears and salvinia minima. It's fun to watch shrimp hanging upside down from floating plants.

Lots of shrimp on Aquabid, if you go that route just be very careful and read seller's feedback. Ms Jinkzd has very good quality fish and shrimp. I've purchased from Live Fins a few times, reasonable prices that include shipping.

I have tons and tons of Salvinia and water lettuce and I just purchased a moss ball today! I got some crypts to to try out my led light and see if they grow! Maybe i can find me some shrimpys now?Thank you I will definitely check them out!

60 watts over 7g might be overkill ?
What type of bulb ?
Fluorescent ? CFL ?

I use two 10watt mini CFLs over my 10g. They are screw in and mounted sideways in a basic incandescent hood. U shaped bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 watts over 7g might be overkill ?
What type of bulb ?
Fluorescent ? CFL ?

I use two 10watt mini CFLs over my 10g. They are screw in and mounted sideways in a basic incandescent hood. U shaped bulbs.

I actually have a 75 watt led light hanging 2 feet above it! I plant on getting the finnex clip on! But this is what I have for the time being! I also have a 60 watt daylight compact fluorescent bulb I'd that would be better!

Unless you plan to add CO2, you may need to keep the light raised ?

Some of the clip on lights are fine. I have an Archaea LED that is same PAR as my mini CFLs.

The floating plants already present should offer decent shading if excess light is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom