Shrimp and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive got a tank cycled with 3 oto's 2 dwarf puffers and a couple of shrimp I picked up at LFS, 2 RCS and 2 'algae shrimp'

Im going to be rehoming the 2 dwarf puffers, and adding more shrimp, varying species, as I like variety.

I was thinking of adding cardinal tetra, penguin tetra, and other small fish, are there any 'community fish' I should stay away from, (I know not to add agressive fish).

I know having fish with shrimp can inhibit shrimp breeding, but Im not too concerned with the shrimp breeding. If this were to change though are there any fish, baby shrimp would be safe with?

Almost any fish will find baby shrimp a good snack, but with lots of moss and plants, the babies will be able to hide and some of them will survive.

--Adeeb

If it fits in the mouth and they can catch it..... it's food !
My shrimp are real quick though, in fact I was thinking of moving them to another tank but I have given up. The only way I could do it would be near empty the tank (and I won't be doing that).

Most ornamental shrimp in the hobby are either caridina or neocaridina species..you can really only keep one shrimp type from each species in the same tank or they will interbreed making rather ugly hybrids. You can use this chart for reference if you'd like:
Will These Shrimp Interbreed? .:. Information on keepign Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species in the same Aquarium without creating a Hybrid Shrimp

If the tank has lots of plants and hiding spots, some baby shrimp should make it. I keep shrimp in communities and the numbers do go up so some survive :)

So If I went with Red cherry shrimp as my neocaridina, and crystal red shrimp as the caridina, could I also use amano shrimp, since they breed in brackish/salt water rather than fresh, I ask as amano wasnt on that chart, thats linked.

You are absolutely correct. Amano's are an exception to the rule and can be housed with another caridina :)

Would having multiple breed of shrimp inhibit breeding, as for a while I may just have shrimp with the oto's.

No it will not. Take caution with oto cats. They are sensitive and should be added to well established tanks, usually waiting six months is best. Otherwise there is no algae present for them.

The oto's are already present and have been for about a week and a half, once they cleared most of the algae I started adding algae wafers, and tried them on some blanched zuchinni yesterday, which they seemed interested in

My brothers starting a new aquarium once he moves so if the rcs happen to overwhelm me I can send some his way, or maybe to my parents community tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom