shrimp and gsp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 3 ghost shrimp today with the intention of feeding them to my gsp. On the way home tho I was trying to decide how exactly to do this.

My options..
1- throw all 3 in with the puffer and let him hunt them down. I worry though that he will eat them all at once and he is only about an inch and a half so that probably won't be good for him. (the tank is still fw)

2- throw one in now, but what to do with the other 2? I have a 30 with an angelfish, pleco, rainbow shark and various tetras. Or a 5 with a mystery snail and betta. A 10 with a platy and a snail. A 10 with 2 betta and frogs. Or I could set up a 3g tank but I have no filter for it.

It seems the best option is to put them in with the 10 with the platy unless it would be ok to put them all in with the puffer?

Just give 1 to the puffer right now and put the other two in a breeder box/ net that hangs in the water of one of your other tanks.

I don't have a breeder box or net. Would the platy eat them?

Doesnt have to be something you would buy from a pet store.... Just get a net (like the ones on your fish net) and hang it in the water. If you have a larger fish net im sure you could do it with that. And no i dont think a platy will eat 1

Ok thanks Nu-nu! I'll give that a try. How often should I feed the shrimp? I was thinking one a week? They really are cool looking little things to watch and goblin LOVED the one I put in.

Mine love them too. I have a 5 gallon that I keep them in and I have a bunch in my freshwater community tank. I buy maybe 20 at a time and keep them around. Remember, it's better if you gut load them before you feed your puffer. Give them some nice vitamin rich food maybe 5 minutes before you scoop them out to feed Goblin.

Alyxx, how big are your puffers? I was worried that a whole shrimp would be to much? How often do you give yours a shrimp?

Mine are about two years old, and the smallest is about two inches long and the biggest is a little over three inches. I have three. I usually feed them shrimp maybe two or three times a month, whenever I feel like catching some if I have any. I usually do, because I get between 10 and 20 every time I go to my LFS if they have them in stock. I drop in maybe 5 or 6 gut loaded shrimp at a time, trying to make sure everyone gets at least one or two. There is occasionally one or two that manage to hide in the rock work to become a snack later. Remember that he should be fed only enough to pooch out his belly a little, if he looks like a golf ball you fed him too much. Also, I recommend spirulina flakes and algae wafers for gut loading them. That way, Goblin gets his veggies.

Back
Top Bottom