shrimp and kuhli loach found in canister filter, need help to prevent this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
if i put a sponge on pantyhose over top of the filter intake thing, isn't that going to prevent proper filtration?

what can be done to stop my smaller pets from getting sucked up but yet still allow for proper filtration of my fish bio and debris?!

One of the members was selling these wire mesh intake covers.. check the classifieds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Simply wrap a layer of fine wire mesh or net. A dapnia net or similar will also serve the purpose effectively

The thing about kuhli loaches is, they can even get into the filter by swimming up through the outflow area (if you have a HOB filter). This happened to one of mine. The only solution I have found for this is to lower the water level.

You can cover both the intake and outflow with pantyhose and it shouldn't hurt the filtration. Just make sure to thoroughly clean it weekly and replace as needed to prevent gunk build-up from slowing down the flow too much.

I use ATI replacement sponges for prefilters on my canister and hob filters. Keeps snail shells from jamming the impellers. Pantyhose or similar material will quickly clog, reducing or stopping water flow.

I ended up getting a coarse type of mesh prefilter to go over the intake. I will have to clean it regularly but its better than potentially losing fish and shrimp.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up getting a coarse type of mesh prefilter to go over the intake. I will have to clean it regularly but its better than potentially losing fish and shrimp.

Was it intended for that use or did you modify a sponge cube?

It is intended for that. Couple bucks at pet smart they had a fine foam type one which I thought was too dense and this coarser one.

It is intended for that. Couple bucks at pet smart they had a fine foam type one which I thought was too dense and this coarser one.

Cool, I'll look.into that.. I was going to say having used the finer foam.. they're a pita. They clog up in days and can be a struggle to remove.. I'd just rather clean my filter weekly than mess with it.. I do still use one in my fry tank, it isn't an issue because they only take wee tiny little dumps..

Back
Top Bottom