shrimp and snail ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ask Dottie how many she has, I think she has tons(thought they were pond snails)

Yes, unfortunately, I have and still do have snail problems....
I sent a bunch to plecoperson for her tanks for fish that eat them etc....I have been able to get them under control in my betta/cory 10g tank by doing the alum soak and then squishing what I see
Now...my 10g shrimp tank is another matter. They are in there to such a degree I am thinking about breaking it down and starting over with new substrate, etc....they are driving me nutso...and I definitely don't overfeed that tank.

Oh yeah I forgot to put in my last post. On the snails. Today the one I removed was larger so I didnt feel like squishing it against the glass and also since it was larger its easier to remove from the tank. So I took it out, and looked at it under a magnifying glass for a couple minutes, then threw it in the backyard.

I deff wont flush anything, thats just me. Its either garbage or outside or squish on the glass with small paper towel, then wipe and into the garbage. This was live so I thought if may crawl out of the garbage, lol.

Matt, that is so funny. When I first started seeing these pond snails I refused to squish them...it just didn't feel right. Now, I don't mind at all, even if they are bigger. I just feel like if I don't they will take over my tank again and I am not about to let that happen. I keep reading and reading that if you don't overfeed your tank it won't happen, but I beg to differ...I do not overfeed my tank, in fact I have let a couple of days go by without feeding to see if it would help and noticed no difference in the snails whatsoever! I will not flush anything that is alive as I just see that as really inhumane, who would want to die in the sewer? I prefer to squish them and let my betta eat them and spit out the shells. ;)

harmy4993, I posted a link to your thread to a group of shrimp experts I know, and two of them have concurred that it looks like a natural color Neocaridina. One of them even posted a picture of a natural color Neocaridina from a tank they had, and it looks like a perfect match to what you posted.

I know you said you like how the brown one looks (which is awesome--shows you are a true lover of nature!), just realize you are probably 3-4 generations from having essentially zero red shrimp in that tank. So think long & hard :rolleyes: about whether you like the brown enough to have a whole tank of all brown and nothing else, because that's the direction the tank will inevitably go.

Whatever you decide, good luck! I am sure you will enjoy your shrimp immensely. :-D

Back
Top Bottom