shrimp bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had an extra 1 gallon bowl laying around, and i finally decided to use it. the substrate is sand, and i have a pretty cool looking rock in the back of the bowl. for plants i have a sword, and 2 crpyts. im thinking of putting a couple of ghost shrimp in the bowl. i want to use a desk lamp as the light for the bowl, but atm i have 2 stick on LEDs. they are on the cabinet above the bowl. its pretty low light, but on saturday im going to get the lamp. any thoughts on my idea would be appreciated. this would be my first shrimp bowl, and the only shrimp available in my area are ghost shrimp. heres a pic of the tank. he one bad thing about the bowl is that it is distorted a bit.

Well.. I think it's a wonderful idea, but I'd encourage you to try the Walstad method with this bowl. It shouts it in my opinion :)

But you still do need to cycle the tank if you decide against the Walstad method.

im new to this, whats the walstad method?

hmm thats interesting. im going to try to grab a bowl that doesnt distirt everything to bad, then try this.
im no sure what plants i will be putting in here, but i might go to my lfs, and check some plants out.

gman42 said:
hmm thats interesting. im going to try to grab a bowl that doesnt distirt everything to bad, then try this.
im no sure what plants i will be putting in here, but i might go to my lfs, and check some plants out.

Yeah! The best part About it is you don't have to maintain the tank too much.

im going to the pet store in abot an hour or so. i can get some high ligh plants now bcuz the bulb is considered high light. how many ghost, or rcs would work in a 1 gal bowl?

i got a new plant. its called dwarf sagitara. idk how to spell it. and i found out that they carry rcs. heres a cpl pics of it. its pretty dirty atm.
actually it wont let my post pics. this is getting really annoying.

gman42 said:
i got a new plant. its called dwarf sagitara. idk how to spell it. and i found out that they carry rcs. heres a cpl pics of it. its pretty dirty atm.
actually it wont let my post pics. this is getting really annoying.

Hmm try photobucket or managing your uploads. Anways. Ghost shrimp I'd try 5-8, cherries I'd say 8-9. If there are a lot of plants and different layers, you could squeeze 10 of each.

I've always wanted to try this. I will definitely be following along. I wouldn't really advise ghost shrimp with dwarf shrimp. They can be very aggressive and can kill RC shrimplets.

Austin.b said:
I've always wanted to try this. I will definitely be following along. I wouldn't really advise ghost shrimp with dwarf shrimp. They can be very aggressive and can kill RC shrimplets.

Oh that's a good point. Never put them together in my opinion. Other people say it works, but it doesn't for me. So I wouldn't risk it. Up to you.

:) and I'm going to try this, but just a .5gal for plants. I've got another thread where I'm searching for the perfect bowl/cube. Kinda like you lol.

yea, it looks pretty good, but it wont let me upload pics from my ipod. im going to try again, and if it won't work i guess ill try something different.

I wouldn't keep ghost shrimp in a 1 gal bowl. They get much too large. Plus, the only time I ever put them in an open top container, they were on the floor within about 5 minutes.

RCS would be a much better fit. You could start with 5-10 of them.

my lfs just started carrying them, im pretty excited. if i just put in the plants yesterday, when do u think i could get the rcs?

gman42 said:
my lfs just started carrying them, im pretty excited. if i just put in the plants yesterday, when do u think i could get the rcs?

We'd need an accurate reading on your tank details.

And yeah, ghosts do get pretty large, but they do have very very low bio load. If you want your shrimp to be happiest? Siva is 100% right.

in the bowl, i have a pretty big amazon sword, a crpyt, and some dwarf sagitaria. the light is a 40 watt desk lamp.

gman42 said:
in the bowl, i have a pretty big amazon sword, a crpyt, and some dwarf sagitaria. the light is a 40 watt desk lamp.

Well what are all your readings?

Back
Top Bottom