Shrimp compatible with Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 community that's about 7 months old and am wanting to add shrimp. My stock is the following:

6 x Botia Kubotai (polka dot) loach
5 x Kuhli loach
3 x Murray River Rainbowfish
2 x Madagascar Rainbowfish
18 x Neon Tetra
4 x Peppered Cory
6 x Red Wag Platy
1 x Angelfish
2 x Nerite Snail

I realize the polka dots are the biggest threat to shrimp, however mine are only 3-4" long and seem to be fairly passive - probably due to me keeping them well fed. I've dumped plenty of "pest snails" into the tank for them to snack on and they only seem to mess with the really small ones. They also leave my 1/2 inch Nerites alone. So with all of that being said, do any of you have any recommendations for larger freshwater shrimp that would survive in my tank? Thanks in advance.

I would try ghost shrimp and go from there. If the ghost shrimp dont get killed then some more expensive ones can be tried.

I agree with Mebbid. However, another option would be to get one of the larger shrimp species such as a bamboo shrimp. Crustaceans are part of botia diet so I would be almost certain that small shrimp would not last long with some of the fish you have.

I agree with Mebbid. However, another option would be to get one of the larger shrimp species such as a bamboo shrimp. Crustaceans are part of botia diet so I would be almost certain that small shrimp would not last long with some of the fish you have.
Yeah, the bamboo shrimp would be what I would go for if they left the ghost shrimp alone. It would hurt less to risk some $0.35 shrimp than a shrimp that can go for $20. Thats an expensive snack :)

Okay I'll give them a try. Hard to go wrong with the cheap ghosts either way. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom