Shrimp Dying, But Just a Few?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added 11 yellow rcs that I ordered online to my 5gal about two weeks ago, and two of them have died.

The tank has been running for about two months, and is also home to some ramshorn snails and MTS. The water parameters are normal (high pH but I'd rather it be constant than mess with trying to lower it) and the temperature is at 76-77*F.

The shrimp that are alive seem healthy and I've noticed two new VERY tiny shrimp which I think must have just been extremely tiny and stuck to the moss the shrimp came with unless these shrimp are super fast breeders or one had eggs when it came.

I feed them about once a day or every other day because I don't think a ton of biofilm has built up yet and they finish the food each time, but I'm worried about over feeding them so I only drop in a few small pellets of shrimp food.

The first shrimp died at the end of the first week and the second one at the end of the second. What I'm wondering is if this is just from adjusting to the new tank or whether something else might be causing it?

Any guesses?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423584565.213725.jpg one of the tiny shrimp

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423584597.647729.jpg three eating, a tiny shrimp by the head of the one in front, the second dead shrimp in the background

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423584694.622608.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423584734.242608.jpg

It's quite possible the deaths occurred from trying to transition into a new tank. It does happen quite often. Without numbers, normal is a fairly poor term in regards to water conditions. Also, those are just yellow shrimp. RCS is Red Cherry Shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

As stated above, those are not RCS but they are the same species (Neocaridina heteropoda, yellow form.

When you say pH is high.... how high? Neos appreciate soft water for the most part.

I had the exact issue with you. Honestly,i think it is because of the adjustment to the new tank. However, RCS does multiply very quickly. I lost about 3 shrimps out of 10. And now i have about 16 shrimps. This happened over a spend of 1 month. Dont worry too much!

Normal water as in ammonia at 0ppm, nitrite at 0ppm, and nitrate at under 20ppm. The pH hangs at about 8.0, which is a bit high for these shrimp, but many people have had no problem with it as long as it stays constant instead of fluctuating which it might if I try to lower it. I've only heard them called "yellow rcs" or "the yellow version of rcs," but if "yellow shrimp" implies neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow then I'll definitely start using that because it's way easier to explain...

Alright :) thanks. I mostly just wanted to make sure that at two weeks in there is still in a possibility of not being fully adjusted to the new tank. I've mostly had fish and snails before this and they're usually pretty settled in by the first week or week and a half.

Back
Top Bottom