Shrimp feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have two cherry shrimp, and I was wondering how often I should feed them algae wafers. They get some of the fish food that sinks to the bottom, and I see them eating this weird algae in the corner of my tank. Do I need to feed them every day? (What I've been doing)

Thanks!

Hello! I have two cherry shrimp, and I was wondering how often I should feed them algae wafers. They get some of the fish food that sinks to the bottom, and I see them eating this weird algae in the corner of my tank. Do I need to feed them every day? (What I've been doing)

Thanks!

if you're already feeding the fish and you have seen the shrimps going after some fish food, then you don't have to feed them everyday. but since the fish might outcompete the shrimps for food, you just have to watch them for a little bit. an algae wafer every two/three days should be good. don't forget they're scavengers so they will find food throughout the tank.

Or a bit of algae wafer if you said you only have two. If your tank has been up for several months 3-4 or more, then you may not need to supplement much, but I would do it a area the fish don't normally hang out in, or it night when the light is off. Shrimp graze all day. On rocks and plants. See if you can find Hikari Crab Cuisine, our Petco recently started carrying it. Break it in 2 pieces for them and see how fast they eat it.

My shrimp will grab the piece and try and run off with it.

You can usually get Hikari Shrimp Cuisine at good lfs, or just order online. It is expensive but good, and it will last almost forever with 2 shrimp, lol If you have a male and female maybe you will get more shrimp. These size of these pieces are very small and shrimp sized.

The Crab Cuisine are shaped more like a stick.

I would also add a chunk of cuddlebone from the bird section (plain not treated or flavored), size of a dime or quarter (you can use a big knife to cut apart chunks), it will float and sink after a few days (can then place it in the back to hide it or leave it in the front to see how much they nibble it). Good for snails and shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom