Shrimp in a Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't have to be exact on water temp, just get close. I just guess by how it feels on my hand in tank compared to what i'm adding. I haven't killed anyone yet! Maybe you could get a small cheap tank for the shrimp. You don't have to tear down the tank, just take some of the tank water and put into something. Take out fish and out in tank water, along with decorations and stuff. Once you catch your shrimp, put everything back including the tank water. You shouldn't kill anything beneficial that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Today I removed everything from my tank, fish and all, and proceeded to go on a manic shrimp hunt. I removed 7 shrimp, and because I didn't see anymore, I assumed they were all gone and that I miscounted when I first put them in there. Lo and behold, after I put the ornaments and the fish all back, 3 small ghost shrimp popped out of nowhere. I checked EVERY ORNAMENT. GOD DANG IT. THEY MUST HAVE BEEN HIDING IN MY HORNWORT. Anywho, I have decided to just let those three be. They are relatively small and survived the shrimp purges, so I guess they've earned their right to stay :/

The shrimp I caught are going to a friend of mine. She has a 3 gallon tank that used to house a betta, but the betta (Duke) recently died of dropsy. He lived to a ripe old age though, she's had that betta for years. But now her tank is empty and she wanted to try her hand at shrimp, so she's agreed to take in these 7 misfits. I am so glad I didn't have to resort to mass shrimp genocide. These little guys have a good home now :D

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's good. I just hope for your sake that your remaining three don't breed! Hopefully one day youe be able to try rcs again. I just love mine.

That's good. I just hope for your sake that your remaining three don't breed! Hopefully one day youe be able to try rcs again. I just love mine.

I sure hope they won't! But even if they do, I'm pretty sure they'll either eat their own babies or their babies will become betta food. Not pleasant to think about, but good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a whisker shrimp and it is extremely large and he has never killed any of my fish

John,
Trust me I am not insane

Back
Top Bottom