Shrimp or Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
SO I was thinking of adding a cleanup crew to my tank. It is not stocked yet, but soon. Here is my Stock List:
5 x Gold Tetra
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Cardinal Tetra
2 x Cockatoo Apisto

I already have the Pleco and the Gold Tetra's. I was thinking shrimp or cories, or do the two do different things? Any suggestions?

Also, I know I will still have to vacuum the gravel, was just looking for a little help. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention. I have a 29 Gallon, Live Plantes, and Flourite Substrate.

Last edited:
I'd think you could do some shrimp and a small cory school. Personally I'd vote for shrimp. I think they are neat. I have ghost shrimp. Cherry shrimp are pretty.

I'm not sure if the cities would overstock the tank. Someone with better knowledge of cories will be able to give more useful information.

I would go with the Corydoras. 3-5 Juhlii would be great. Shrimp will be hunted by the Apistos and the Gold Tetras when they get bigger. If you're concerned about overstocking look into Corydoras Habrosus.

Cories aren't really going to clean up anything ime. They should be thought of not as a clean up crew but just as adding any other fish and will require supplenental feedings. They are a very interesting and active fish when kept in the proper group.

tarpon said:
Cories aren't really going to clean up anything ime. They should be thought of not as a clean up crew but just as adding any other fish and will require supplenental feedings. They are a very interesting and active fish when kept in the proper group.

Well said. What the do do (ha...do do) is clean up food that is left over. Getting some snails in there will also do that. But they will reproduce out of control when you overfeed.

I feed extra so my Corydoras get enough as well as supplement them with algae wafers.

Ok. So if I did decide to go with Cories, would I be overstocked with my current stock list? Also, they shouldnt mess with my pleco at all right?

jrcoolt said:
Ok. So if I did decide to go with Cories, would I be overstocked with my current stock list? Also, they shouldnt mess with my pleco at all right?

I have never seen a cory be aggresive. You might have issues with the pleco hogging all the food though.

jrcoolt said:

You should be fine stocking wise. Just don't add anything more and keep up on maintenance and you'll be as golden as your Tetras.

Corydoras are very docile and great tank mates. I'd be more concerned with your Pleco getting a little territorial with food. But nothing should be of a big concern.

Predfan27 said:
You should be fine stocking wise. Just don't add anything more and keep up on maintenance and you'll be as golden as your Tetras.

Corydoras are very docile and great tank mates. I'd be more concerned with your Pleco getting a little territorial with food. But nothing should be of a big concern.

I did have my pleco whip my corys away from an algae wafer with his tail one time and flare out his "frog spike" things on his gills a couple times but I don't think he ever hurt them

Don't get corys if you already have a pleco get some shrimp. they may look boring but once you have them there is never a dull moment.

I did have my pleco whip my corys away from an algae wafer with his tail one time and flare out his "frog spike" things on his gills a couple times but I don't think he ever hurt them

my bristle nose pleco is scared of my panda cories :lol: they cories have never been aggressive. I personally like the pandas (I currently have 4 but will be getting up to 7) if they are in a school they are very active and silly fish- they are quite adorable. they dont get to big- about 2". I use a stocking calculator so i cant give to much advice for stocking but it doesnt sound like itd be overstocked

calfishguy said:
Don't get corys if you already have a pleco get some shrimp. they may look boring but once you have them there is never a dull moment.

Shrimp, awesome as they are, are not the correct choice for this tank. They will be hunted and stressed to the point of extinction in that tank.

Corydoras and Plecos do not fill the same role in an aquarium.

The Panda Corydoras would be a great choice as they are small. 3-5 would be ok in my opinion.

FishFanatic88 said:
Quick question, is flourite a rough gravel? for some reason i think i heard it had sharp edges.

Kinda. I keep all 4 of my tanks in Fluorite and had no problems with its roughness though.

I had my 4 corys then I got a BN pleco. Never had any problems at all. They do kinda fill the same role but I got them simply because they are lovely fish. Cories for their activity and playfulness and the BNs for their unique faces. they all got their fair share i just put 2 algae wafers in and supplimented them with catfish pellets, flakes and frozen daphnia and blood worm. Corys do make lovely additions. 4-6 in a group would do nicely.

Back
Top Bottom