Shrimp or cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex ski

Aquarium Advice Regular
Debating over the two in my twenty gallon tank have no aggressive fish 2 ottos 3 zebra danios 3 bloodfins and 2 guppies

Maybe both!

You can do say 3 Japonica Amano Shrimp and 4-5 dwarf Cories like Pygmaeus, Hasbrosus, Hastatus. They are all substantially smaller than regular Cories.

After you get them set up and happy. Then maybe round out your tetras by at least 1 or 2, and Danios. But not at the same time, make enough time between to build up your BB (beneficial bacteria).

Also if you have an extra filter pad cartridge you can piggyback them together in the filter and get double the BB. It takes about a month for maximum BB growth.

You can do say 3 Japonica Amano Shrimp and 4-5 dwarf Cories like Pygmaeus, Hasbrosus, Hastatus. They are all substantially smaller than regular Cories.

After you get them set up and happy. Then maybe round out your tetras by at least 1 or 2.

Do you mean 2 more of each tetra

Do you mean 2 more of each tetra

Yes but not right away. Always recommend adding new groups slowly to allow BB to grow with the new occupants. And only when you have a stable tank too btw.

Yes they should really have a larger "school" but you are tight on stock, 6 each would be better minimum, that's why I suggested the piggyback filter which doubles your neutralizing BB, after a month of building BB you could probably add them if your water parameters stay stable.

Also the Cories need very clean stable water parameters to do well! You could add the Amano Shrimp whenever you feel your tank is stable. They have a small bioload.

You could add the fish in which ever order you would prefer. And the fish schools would benefit by the increase, they would be happier. Probably danios first if you are sure you are keeping these as your stock. They can get nippy if they don't have enough to school with.

You could put the Cories on hold for awhile and get your schools on track.

Are you stuck on the Danios? Can you exchange them for more of the Tetras?

We'll I really do like the look of the danios in my tank and they add a beautiful feture to my tank

Back
Top Bottom