Shrimp paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fallows

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's a twenty gallon long tank. I've never had shrimp before and I was looking into picking up a few for the water portion. There's no other inhabitants, it would be shrimp only. My question is what should I do to the water portion to make it safe? I'm picking up a sponge filter and air pump soon. Any scape ideas would be welcome also. uploadfromtaptalk1452969741062.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I got a little more free time and wanted to add some more details. Basically I created the tank as a school project. The lighting is led and I decided to use all aquatic plants just because I like the look of them in tanks. I thought it would make the tank seem a bit bigger than it really is since I hate the height of a twenty long tanks. The land portions are doing well, all the plants are growing and the Java moss is starting to climb the background. The moss in the back is turning green though I belive that's mostly due to it staying wet and growing algae, either way is alright with me. The water portion is what is causing me some issues. Bacopa does alright but the other plants are suffering. I have a planting ten gallon betta tank full of Java fern and Java moss but this tank just isn't working. I'm really not sure what to do with the water section. Any input, land or water related, would be helpful as I want to get the tank settled before I even try to add shrimps.

Hey fallows, welcome to the forum!

What kinds of plants do you have in the water portion of the tank? Is it just the java moss and bacopa, or do you have other plants in it as well?

uploadfromtaptalk1453088485209.jpg

I was messing around with it earlier and this is the end result. Before it was just the bacopa and moss but now the bacopa is gone and I added in Java fern. Something still seems off to me about the water section

Looks attractive, and I love the idea of trying to make it look bigger than it is. Do you know what your parameters are? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc?

Thanks. I honestly have no idea, all of my test kits are from several years ago. The only fish I have is a betta in a 10 gallon so I just do a water change every week and keep it planted and I haven't had any issues

Hey Fallows,

Your tank looks really good! For shrimp, they love heavily planted tanks, so if you can get tons of plants and make the tank super heavily planted in an arrangement too that would be awesome. How did you plant the java fern? Java fern as a rhizome (thick root part where all leaves are attached too) that HAS to be above your substrate or it will die. That's why most people like to tie it onto rocks/driftwood.

I seriously recommend getting a test kit. It'll be hard to know when to do water changes, to determine why things are dying etc. The $30 for a liquid test kit are well worth it.

There are other options for a palladium too. You could do salamanders, fire belly toads (Cool little guys!), tree frogs, and a lot more animals I don't know of lol. Do some research, but if your heart is set on shrimp then that would work perfectly fine in this setup!

I buried the roots of the ferns and then pulled them up a bit to make sure it wasn't covered, they use to be planted in sand and grew well but veryyy slowly.

I'm working on the test kit, I start a new job soon so I'm hoping I can get it asap.

I'd love frogs but with the short height of the tank I don't think they'd be very happy. I've never had shrimp before so I thought it might be something new to try, specially after watching all the shrimp videos of them swimming around.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom