Shrimp Quest...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok...

I am looking for the "perfect shrimp"

i would love to have some shrimp in my 75 gal...(see sig for inhabitants)

i have tried cherry red shrimp and ammino shrimp both were a nice snack for my rams.

need shrimp that a bigger, fish and plant friendly, AND preferably a a south american heritage so ad to fit the them of my tank....

that is a tall bill to fill but does anyone know of a species of shrimp that fit my requirements? and second know of a place to order them from..since my local fish store only carries the above mentioned amminos...

thanks in advance

Sorry JDogg but your first statement is par for the course with Rams. I have yet to hear of a successful Ram/Apisto/Shrimp tank. I asked nearly everywhere because I wanted them as well...no dice.

Hopefully someone will come along with not only yours, but my long sought out answer.

Maybe a larger invert would suit the tank, like a blue lobster? You could probably fit two or three in the tank as long as there are a lot of hiding places. They will eat slower fish though.

Do the rams eat them quickly, or do they mostly get eaten after they molt? Do they have some good hiding places? What about size? My shrimp used to get picked on, but now that a couple have gotten really big, they get left alone.

I think there are a lot of tanks where your shrimp are just going to slowly disappear, in which case it's probably only practical to get common ghost shrimp and restock every few weeks if you really want shrimp. That's what I did, and Darwin has given me 5 pretty fit shrimp that have survived over a month now.

CaysE said:
Maybe a larger invert would suit the tank, like a blue lobster? You could probably fit two or three in the tank as long as there are a lot of hiding places. They will eat slower fish though.

I'd love to get one of them, but they tear up your plants pretty fast, too, don't they? And something tells me they might make short work of the nice big feelers on my mystery snail.

Tostada said:
Do the rams eat them quickly, or do they mostly get eaten after they molt?

IIRC, this is the epitome of "nit" picking. They do this until there is nothing left.

Tostada said:
CaysE said:

I'd love to get one of them, but they tear up your plants pretty fast, too, don't they? And something tells me they might make short work of the nice big feelers on my mystery snail.

That is more like turning the tables, now the crustacean is the aggressor and the Rams and any other invert are prey.

CaysE said:
i love my rams to much to watch then get eaten buy a lobster :cry:

my ram eat then as soon as they hit the water :twisted: they do not even have time to get to shelter, i even tried releasing then right into some plants, they crawled down the plants and the rams got them... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom