shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just seen blue pearl s shrimp and bumble bee shrimp on ebay, never seen them before but I think they're beautiful! I really don't know much about shrimp at all, but was wondering if I could have some in my tank? I've got a 48l cube and will be having 6 corydoras habrosus, six galaxy rasboras and a betta. Would I be able to mix them with that stocking list? If so, how many. could I have both types? Our are they best kept as single species? Is my tank big enough?

The betta may find them a tasty snack, some people have luck with betta and shrimp, some people don't.

You need to check the species particular needs to know if they'd live.
http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_species.html

Also you can check here on AA
Or ( join for free to view sales threads )
The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central. Both should have hobbyists selling Shrimp.
Might be cheaper and easier to ask questions.

After watching my Betta kill Shrimp I will never mix them again.

Also a Betta is NOT an ideal tankmate for CPDs. They are shy and will not appreciate such a giant IMHO. Mine do come out. The Threadfins get along well with them. CPDs do best with other Nano fish AFAIK.

Pics of my Shrimp and CPD tank are in my sig.
I'd skip the Betta.

+1. CPDs are shy and skittish. You could either do CPDs with other nano fish or the typical rasboras you see at LFS with little diamond shaped black marks on their bodies. They would look very cool with CPDs. A big school of them, and a small shoal of CPDs would be an eye catcher.

To compliment that, you could do bee or tiger shrimp. But I wouldn't recommend anything but RCS to start out with.

Coursair said:
You need to check the species particular needs to know if they'd live.
http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_species.html

Also you can check here on AA
Or ( join for free to view sales threads )
The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central. Both should have hobbyists selling Shrimp.
Might be cheaper and easier to ask questions.

After watching my Betta kill Shrimp I will never mix them again.

Also a Betta is NOT an ideal tankmate for CPDs. They are shy and will not appreciate such a giant IMHO. Mine do come out. The Threadfins get along well with them. CPDs do best with other Nano fish AFAIK.

Pics of my Shrimp and CPD tank are in my sig.
I'd skip the Betta.

Would I be able to get away with a female betta? Or is that still too big? :/ I want to get this right :)

MABJ said:
+1. CPDs are shy and skittish. You could either do CPDs with other nano fish or the typical rasboras you see at LFS with little diamond shaped black marks on their bodies. They would look very cool with CPDs. A big school of them, and a small shoal of CPDs would be an eye catcher.

To compliment that, you could do bee or tiger shrimp. But I wouldn't recommend anything but RCS to start out with.

I though about doing rcs, but I really don't like the colour red ;) I know that sounds weird ;)

Scientific Name: Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Yellow).

Other Scientific Names: Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (var. Yellow)

Common Name: Yellow Shrimp

Other Common Names: Yellow Cherry

Origin: South East Asia

Found in the wild: No
==============
Taken from theshrimpfarm.com

trying putting some cherries in first,

see if your betta is fast enough to get them. I had betta with shrimp but my super delta betta couldnt catch the shrimp cause he was too slow:p

Everything else is fine, except Corydoras can eat baby shrimps:)

Back
Top Bottom