Shrimp safe fertilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CorallineAlgae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone here know of a good micronutrient fert that doesn't contain copper? I've been using GLA dry ferts mixed for PPS-Pro dosing. I know the macros are copper free but the micros have a good bit of copper and I don't want to risk using it with shrimp in the tank. I still plan on using the NPK macro mix so it's only the other "trace" additives I need.

Micro nutrients all contain whatever trace amount of copper as plants need copper. And if memory serves me right shrimp need a small trace amount of copper. People use ferts with copper all the time with shrimp. Do you know that if your house has copper pipes you can still get trace amounts of copper from them especially when using hot water. I use PPS-Pro micro I don't have issues keeping shrimp.

Thanks so much guys. Guess I'll just keep using my NPK macros and Plantex CSM+B micros (0.10% cheated copper). Maybe I was just worried because I've read some warnings about it while researching shrimp care. My plants and I thank you.

Interesting fact: Shrimp's 'blood' actually uses copper in the same way that many animals use iron (Hemocyanin vs Hemoglobin). So it's not 'poisonous' in the traditional sense of the word.

But yea, to underscore what's already been said, most fertilizers aren't going to affect shrimp in the slightest. Whether this is due to low doses or because it's chelated, I do not know, but I haven't managed to kill shrimp yet with aggressive EI dosing.

That settles it then. If they can handle full on EI dosing then PPS should be fine. Thanks for weighing in on it. Time to feed the plants.

Back
Top Bottom