Shrimp tank aquascaping help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Decided 5/6 mths ago to make a shrimp only tank after seeing a few RCS in my community tank become snacks to both fish & the bigger Amanos (whether the Amanos hunted them or were just scavenging is not the point). Started with just the tank & shrimp, other stuff was "thrown" in as I acquired/scavenged it from my other tanks/kijiji. I know I am doing this backwards with shrimp & tank first then aquascaping but such is my life ��

Specs
30g/114l tall tank - 24L 24H 12D
Canopy with 2 40w LEDs where the incadescents used to be
AC 30 & Penguin 125 (no bio wheel) with insert foam on intakes - shrimp seem to love riding the outflows
100w "hob" heater that I need to replace with a submersible when funds allow
Natural coloured "pea gravel" - what I had on hand at set up, eventually hoping to switch it out for black gravel
3 pcs of spider wood on slate - 2 in tank, 1 just acquired last week at lfs
Java moss, mixed with some Christmas moss & Guppy grass as that is all my lighting seems to allow & no time, nor inclanation to "fuss" with plants - I have Parrot feather or something like it floating in other tanks for fry so that is available if I want it
Lots of RCS from teeny weenys to adult and 10 recently acquired Tangerine tigers who seem to be settling in fine

PLEASE throw me out ideas as I am at a total loss as to what I want the "final" look to be at this point and need some kind of focus - the only thing I am sort of set on is using 2 of the Spider wood to try and hide the intake tubes from your initial view
Sorry for the photo quality & colour it's the best my phone does
20180125_232609.jpg20180125_232548.jpg20180125_232528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking the same - hide the intake tubes - maybe a tall plant / driftwood on left and in centre. Then on right side somehow have something that angles across to the right like a path of several stones (so not looking directly at back right corner).

Apologies in advance for all the questions but this is my first real attempt at aquascaping a tank as opposed to just stuff in that looks nice

DELAPOOL That's actually my heater in the center (old school type screws on tank edge) both intakes are behind the spiderwood pieces, the left one stands out more because the tubes are clear as opposed to the smoky coloured ones on right(aftet seeing this pic going to see if I have extra smoky ones tucked away somewhere to switch in). I am hoping I have a submersible heater in my spare parts collection, if not it is going on the top of my list. That said if the heater becomes a horizontal peice 3/4" above tank bottom centered to provide an equalized heat source how do I *disguise* it while not interfering with it or scorching/burning what I am using to hide it.
At the moment the Java moss & Christmas moss as well as the Guppy Grass are *draped* around the various branches but I am wondering if I should find a more permanent way to attach it (the clumps tend to change with the filter currents or my mood ?)
Also should I use the third wood peice to make a triangular pattern with the 2 tallest pieces towards the back for the intakes and the shorter more forward to hide your view of the heater or will it be too crowded as this will leave precious little open water just lots of tangled spiky wooden branches and hanging moss/guppy grass
Sorry for the long saga - I really do appreciate the help

You can slide the heater to a spot near an intake.

How about some Java Fern? There are some nice narrow leaf varieties and easy to grow wide leaf.

Anubias Nana. Also A. Nana Petite and both of these, Anubias and Java Ferns, need to be attached to rock or wood, no rhizome/stems buried. Their roots will often grow into the substrate though when close to the bottom.

Shrimp really LOVE moss and plant filled jungle tanks. I like making the shrimp happy and often end up with a jungle looking tank, and usually pretty content shrimp.

See about some Dragon stone for an interesting stone to add some interest.

I would add the tall piece slightly off center with a triple rock cluster at the other side around the base of it but out a few inches and tuck some Anubias nana in between.

Bucephalandra (Buces for short) varieties are pretty amazing in colors, sizes, and shapes. I do not have a huge experience with too many varieties yet but have been watching many keepers successes!

Back
Top Bottom