shrimp vs snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking to get 1or2 for my tank(10g) what the advantages / disasvantages to both and which could I get.
In my tank I have
4 Pygmy cories
4 white clouds ATM
(and don't worry I will fill out the schools at a later date)

Really any type of mystery snails are fun for a 10g :) I personally love ghost shrimp and Japanese algae cleaning shrimp (that's what my lfs store calls them). Do you have any plants?

I've got amazon sword and java fern ATM and that's prolly it for a while...I've heard that snails reproduce like crazy if I got just 1 would I have to wory about that?

mystery snails need 2 snails to breed and nerite snails need brackish water, so 1 of either would work without having to worry about a huge snail population

I'd stay far, far away from snails. I inadvertently inherited 1 taking home a plant from the fish store. I only saw 1 for six weeks, so I figured I was in the clear with it until I suddenly found 4 last week. I got rid of the 4 and found another 4 tonight. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them!

I've got amazon sword and java fern ATM and that's prolly it for a while...I've heard that snails reproduce like crazy if I got just 1 would I have to wory about that?
I have apond snail infestation. beleive me, you dont want that. lol. But you are fine with a mystery or nerite snail.

Speaking of snails, I had a few mysteriously spear in my 150g, underneath the undergravel filter.
Most all of my fish will eventually reach 8 to 20 inches, and a clown knife & sturgeon that may reach 32 or more.

Will my fish likely eat the snails keeping the population in control?

Yeah they will probably eat them.

My larger cichlids eat pest snails like its going out of style.

For the most part, though, snail infestations can be controlled by limiting feeding. If they have nothing to eat they will not explode in population.

Back
Top Bottom