Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My husband doesn't understand but I am starting to want a shrimp tank in my kitchen with Yellow Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp and Blueberry Shrimp. Do they all live together well?

Jana

jlbfish said:
My husband doesn't understand but I am starting to want a shrimp tank in my kitchen with Yellow Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp and Blueberry Shrimp. Do they all live together well?

Jana

Yay!! More shrimp lovers like myself!:D my parents don't understand either lol anyways, those shrimp will interbreed with each other. They are all from the family neocardina, meaning they will all breed with each other, creating hybrid shrimp. This may sound cool, but the hybrid shrimp are brown (they revert to their natural wild color) you could keep neocardina's with cardinas though. EX- red cherry shrimp, and crystal red shrimp. Blueberry shrimp with tiger shrimp.

AWW man you mean a blue shrimp and a red shrimp won't give me a purple shrimp? :D

So it is best just to stick to one color? and with all the breeding do they outgrow their tank? How do they regulate that? And you don't have to have live plants with them do you? I haven't done the live plant thing so if they require it I might start there.

THanks!

jlbfish said:
AWW man you mean a blue shrimp and a red shrimp won't give me a purple shrimp? :D

So it is best just to stick to one color? and with all the breeding do they outgrow their tank? How do they regulate that? And you don't have to have live plants with them do you? I haven't done the live plant thing so if they require it I might start there.

THanks!

Hahaha I wish!;)

Yes, or you could do different species, like RCS and tiger shrimp. Yes, they can but you could easily sell them. It isn't required, but it is always best! Since your new, try moss like java moss. It only needs very very low light, you have to TRY to kill it lol oh and yes I do:) I have a 10G heavily planted with RCS:) would you like to see a picture?

Sure! I would have to read up on how the plants affect the tanks water measurements. Maybe I should take my 'hospital' 3.5 gallon and stick some java moss in it.

But what do you do with all the extra shrimp?

After you get too many Shrimp you can add Scarlet Badis or CPDs to eat some tiny babies, they won't harm adults.
My tank

Live plants ARE required, but easy. Java Ferns grow very well. Moss Balls also.

jlbfish said:
Sure! I would have to read up on how the plants affect the tanks water measurements. Maybe I should take my 'hospital' 3.5 gallon and stick some java moss in it.

But what do you do with all the extra shrimp?

You could easily sell them! Or just add in some predators like Coursair suggested:)

Coursair said:
After you get too many Shrimp you can add Scarlet Badis or CPDs to eat some tiny babies, they won't harm adults.
My tank

Live plants ARE required, but easy. Java Ferns grow very well. Moss Balls also.

Still can't get over how awesome your tank Is.....

Don't moss balls only grow about a centimeter a year?

maestromad said:
Wow! Nice fish, what is the one that looks like a Cory/killer whale??

Are you asking about my fish ?
I have Corydoras habrosus. As well as Otos.
My Cories were surfing the front glass to get Shrimp.

The very fat Oto is my female. She was full of eggs.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing :) I am still debating it but thinking of starting with a tank that has a Java Fern in it. Thats it for now :D None of my bigger tanks have real plants in them at the moment. We are only stocking one so the plant may be as far as I can go for now. But I want to try I think!

Who do you sell them too? And what is a CDP or CPD (can't remember).

Austin.b love your signature it is so true! LOL
Jana

Coursair said:
Are you asking about my fish ?
I have Corydoras habrosus. As well as Otos.
My Cories were surfing the front glass to get Shrimp.

The very fat Oto is my female. She was full of eggs.

Yup I wss, they are lovely looking fish!! I want some lol

Yup I wss, they are lovely looking fish!! I want some lol

Thanks, I looked for a year, before I found healthy habrosus. I got them from a LFS that quarantines all their new stock. More expensive, but worth it. I'm getting 1 or 2 more to make a breeding group from a club member that breeds Catfish.

I love Cories anyway and the Dwarf species are soooo cute !! And watching my Shrimp hitch rides on them is hilarious.

To the OP, Java Fern is great. I have 3 types, Regular, Narrow Leaf, and Windelov. Narrow Leaf may be my favorite for now.

Back
Top Bottom