Shrimps with the Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbarino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey fellow fish people! I have a 29 gal. tank with 6 Tiger Barbs, 2 Long Finned Tetras, and 2 Gold Gouramis, and 2 Rabbit Snails.
I have 6 Amano Shrimp in a small tank growing up big and strong so they can be transferred to the larger tank. They range from 1 inch to 1.25 inches.
Does anyone have experience adding Amano Shrimp to a tank with Tiger Barbs? If so, how did it go? Did they co-habitate peacefully? Or did the shrimp become fish food? They don't bother the Rabbit Snails, but shrimp might be more tempting! Also, should I wait until the shrimp grow some more?
Any input would be appreciated.

The majority of fish will snack on shrimp or pick on them. Do you have a lot of hiding spots for them?

Well, yes the tank does have hiding places, but I feel like the fish will eventually be able to get to them if they really want to. I think that if I can wait until the shrimp are fully grown, they will have the best chance to make it. But if that won't work, then the little tank will just be the shrimp tank!

Full grown shrimp fine, smaller ones will be snacks. I have amanos in with my barbs that are nearly or completely full grown and the barbs swim right past them. Guess they’ve figured out they’re too big/fast to catch.

I have seen them eat only slightly smaller ghost shrimp though, so do make sure the amanos are pretty bulky before adding in.

That's what I was hoping. I will just be patient and feed 'em until they can defend themselves! Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom