Shrimps!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am after purchasing shrimp for my new tank any one got any ideas?? I live in the uk West Yorkshire area if that helps

Really depends on your water. If you are starting out try red cherry shrimp or one of the colour variations, green, yellow,etc

They can handle ph from about 7 to 7,5 and will breed. Crystal reds need low ph. Whatever you do make sure your tank is really well cycled. Many people recommend cycling for 6 months at least. The smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain good water quality. I once lost a colony in three days due to an amonia spike from a single dead snail. Never overfeed and don't introduce fish.

If you want shrimp that are active, interesting to watch, big but will not breed then amanos are great. Try ebay etc. i get really good shrimp locally that way and at a fraction of the price in stores. Don't ship in winter.

Very good info perentie!

My additions to that is this. It depends on what else you're putting in that tank. Ghost Shrimp are cheap and get to a size that most fish won't bother them.

If its a dedicated Shrimp tank, and you're a first time Shrimp keeper, Red Cherry Shrimp is the way to go. Easy to keep, great color, interesting behavior.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been on net and people say use fluval shrimp stratum?? And sponge filters?? What's your views on that I have a 1 foot by 1 foot cube tank and was going to use a tetratec ex 700 external filter on it for the shrimps??

In my 5.5g tank I have Flourite and an internal Tetra Whisper filter.

The smaller grain substrate is good for the Shrimp to find food although its not absolutely required. I've had them in sand, and they really enjoyed that.

I wanted to keep bumblebee shrimp as they look amazing !!

They aren't the best starter Shrimp as they are expensive and more difficult to keep. I would suggest Red Cherry to start with, then as you get experience. Upgrade

I have been reading up on the shrimp stratum that fluval supply and it says it keeps the ph down to about6.5 which is where the bumblebee shrimp like the ph but also shrimp require zero nitrate so what's the best way to keep nitrates out of the water also when I am going to cycle my tank should I do a fish less cycle or shal drop a few fish in there just for cycling of the tank??

Predafan

What would your advice be on the equipment I should use in my tank do u think the external filter would be ok and what type of media should I use in the filter?? Thanks

I have been reading up on the shrimp stratum that fluval supply and it says it keeps the ph down to about6.5 which is where the bumblebee shrimp like the ph but also shrimp require zero nitrate so what's the best way to keep nitrates out of the water also when I am going to cycle my tank should I do a fish less cycle or shal drop a few fish in there just for cycling of the tank??

If you have the money for Fluval Shrimp Stratum, then go for it! I'm just saying that a specialized Shrimp substrate isn't always necessary.

What size is your tank?

Plants will help reduce nitrates as they use those biological wastes as nutrients. Reduced over feeding will keep nitrates down too.

I'd do a fish less cycle. Takes a little longer but that extra time cycling can be spent planning out the rest of the tank :)

My tank is a 1foot cube with a glass top what type of filter would u recommend and types of live plants ??

Live plants are easy. Crypts, Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias. Any low light plant is easy to care for.

A foam filter is the safety way to go. It has no chance of sucking up young Shrimplets

Ok am going to start the project today by getting the tank setup with the filter and shrimp stratum then I will have to find some plants will keep u posted thanks for all the info.

Ok am going to start the project today by getting the tank setup with the filter and shrimp stratum then I will have to find some plants will keep u posted thanks for all the info.

Not a problem!

Come back if you need some more help :)

Hahaha just my luck I am in the uk and I suppose everybody on the forum are in the United States lolz

Hahaha just my luck I am in the uk and I suppose everybody on the forum are in the United States lolz

Definitely a decent amount of us on here are from the States...not sure where to go for Shrimp over in the UK. Perhaps look up Samzter and ask where they got theirs?

Back
Top Bottom