SHRIMPY NO! Possible murder suspects..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corty

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just went to look at the tank, and noticed my Serpent Star having a large snack.. out of one of my Cleaner Shrimp!

I noticed the Cleaner Shrimp "fighting" over a piece of krill the other day, but they weren't really touching each other, just snatching the krill away. I gave them each their own piece, and they left each other alone. They seemed fairly happy with the situation, and shared the same spot on a piece of LR for a while.

Is it possible that one killed the other last night? Is it likely that I have something in the LR that's likely to take down the other? I can't really inspect the body as it's about 75% into my brittle star, more so all the time. Perhaps the work of the isopod that was unidentified and uncatchable?

The only other things in the tank (that I know of) is a 3" Firefish, Hermits & Turbos, and a Yellow Tang. As mentally disturbed as the Yellow Tang is, I can't see it attacking a Cleaner Shrimp (or anything, really).

Should the other one be removed? I don't think I'm going to replace the one I lost.. it and the other seemed very healthy, so it's gotta be something in my tank.

The other seems happy and is at the little cleaning station they set up, occasionally jumping onto the Tang, only to be quickly flung off. Is this a possible source of injury?

I feel a little sick to my stomach.. :(

my Serpent Star having a large snack

Quite possibly found red hanged um... i mean red legged if you know what I mean.

Cleaners will live with eachother with out much problems. Sure they will go crazy when food is around but this is their nature. About the only thing I can think of aside from the serpent star is that some rock shifted and the shrimp didnt get out of the way.

You would have to tell us. Did the uneaten part look like an empty shell of the shrimp or did it look like it acutally had the mass of the shrimp inside. Molts will have a faded coloration of the acutal shrimp but the molt will be somewhat transparent where as the acutal shrimp is not transparent.

It was the butler in the pantry with the knife.

you should be able to find your shrimp pretty easy if he wasn't dead. possible culprit could also be a rouge hitchiker. Possible mantis shrimp or crab?

Mine molt frequently, but don't stay hidden for long. I usually find the molts when I come home from work and the shrimp are back out swaying in the current. If he molted, he will show back up soon.
I have a banded serpent that has grown to almost a foot across. He has never bothered a thing.....so far. 8O
The mystery continues.........

I knew we should have fired him.

I was told that after a shrimp molted, he hid for a while. To be honest, it was kind of hard locating both of them even when I knew they were alive. They seemed to prefer the back of the tank to the front.

I haven't seen anything, but I'll keep an eye out.

I've heard that a shrimp may consume a portion of his molted exoskeleton.. would it still be by it even with a mean old Serpent Star (Nowhere near a foot across.. more like five-six inches.. can hardly see it with murderous intent)? That portion of the tank is entirely obscured by other rock.

The star certainly could eat the molt. I have seen my stars and one of my urchins chow a molt.
Serpent Star (Nowhere near a foot across.. more like five-six inches
Hehe, give him time. Mine was about 5" a year ago when I got him. The funny thing is, I have another one that didn't grow at all ( similar, but different species).

I've had this guy for a couple months now.. was tiny small when I bought him.

Climbs onto my hand more than the Cleaner Shrimp does/did/do. Cute now, less cute when he's a foot. Oh that'll be fun..

I'd love to see both of them when you do. I believe I have the second. It's a shame he'll only get to be eight inches.. but then I guess he'll scare the visitors less. I already get "What IS that?!". I'm just trying to refrain from naming him Cthulhu. Poor guy gets teased enough.. not to mention the one time a visitor saw him eat :roll:

Pfft. Elegant is more like it.

As a minor update, the star realized mr. shrimpy was not going to fit in his mouth no matter what he did, and gave up. He's now sulking in a cave on the other side of the aquarium. I gave him some krill, but he let the hermits have it. Oh well, at least they're happy..

Oh ya, there was an original subject here. :wink:
Sorry for the loss, that is strange. :(

I'm feeling better about it now, knowing that I picked a healthy specimen, acclimated as best I could, researched the purchase beforehand, and did my best to create a good home for them.

I guess for now it's just watch and wait to see what happens. With any luck, it was the other shrimp that did it, and there won't be any more deaths.

On the brighter side, the Tang let him stay on for about a second this time before freaking out, and the Shrimp is getting pretty good at landing safely when it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom