Shy discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
My discus have always been very outgoing and rush to come out and eat/swim around, and now they are very skittish and hide. Any idea why? They are in a quiet place, have a concrete wc/light schedule, so idk what their deal is out of nowhere. ??

Everything has been constant which is why i don't understand it. I took out that old castle in the tank that i was originally using to transfer some bacteria back in the day, and thats when i noticed it the worst. Since, i have put the castle back and they seem a little better, but still skittish.

It was probably the removal of that castle. Give it another week and see if they get more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Id just really like the castle removed, but they freaked out as if they were a child i removed a toy from. Maybe i will wait till they are bigger and less amused by the castle.

Can you replace the castle with some other large structure? Dw? My fish always get a little freaked when I switch the tank up.. they become accustomed to territory and structure, especially cichlids, they form a hierarchy and pecking order.. that castle was probably a prized territory as it was fit for a king;) they'll figure it out..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two huge pieces of dw! Itd be overkill to add anymore imo.
vg5wtw.jpg
Every discus is still hiding? When they eventually come out they are still beautiful.
28ch5ac.jpg
do you think i should add a small school of fish to maybe get them out and about?

25 Black neons would be pretty awesome. I'd add more stumpy pieces. Get some anubias growing as well

I want the two tanks to be a tad different. The other tank has cardinals going on
11rve4i.jpg
i found them to be too cramped while in the 55. Im thinking some rummy nose? And i dont think my lights are adequate enough for plants:/ I need to replace the lighting.

Rummynose are awesome, I have 8 and they school tighter than any other fish I have.. anubias would grow under your kitchen table.. very easy plant..

Oh okay! Than i could give that a shot. Ill just wrap it inside some dw. And how many would you recommend in a small group?

It's good they're coming back around, Jess. Honestly your best match is going to be Cardinals. I'm afraid the black neons and rummynose will probably suffer because of the heat tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Oh wow. Wasnt aware i thought they were used as schooling fish with discus commonly. I have one left from cycling before hand and he seems happy and is colorful. -1 for Jess?

Actually.. rummynose are totally fine with the elevated temps. I have them in my 81° gbr tank.

If anything they'll be fine.. i keep neons at 81 ad well.. they're said to be less than adaptable to that temp? ? I feel excellent water quality will go a long way here;)

Very true. And i do at least 50% wc a day so they should be good. A rummy nose in the lfs tank was really sick so they said to pass on that batch :/ ill look into another lfs. I know that this other one has their stock for a lot longer in their tanks so its not just new ones every week $$?

Oh wow. Wasnt aware i thought they were used as schooling fish with discus commonly. I have one left from cycling before hand and he seems happy and is colorful. -1 for Jess?

If he's colorful and active then go for it. I was just pointing out what I know. I would highly recommend QT in their own tank and bringing the temp up steadily to be safe. How many did you start the cycle with ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

My tank is 84-86. I wouldn't want them to be unhappy, but i have been pointed in their direction by multiple people.?

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone keeping Black Neons at those temps. I've always thought that 80 was their upper limit.

Most of the resources on the web say that Rummys are only good to 80-ish, but many folks in the discus forums keep them in the mid-80s. So apparently they're OK in that range.

The Wet Spot in Portland is a very well-regarded place that does mail order. If you're not in a hurry to get Rummys and don't mind waiting until the spring, they'd be an option.

I believe i had ten, which wasnt good enough to cycle ofcourse but i wanted to make sure they were good before i got discus, so i used my cichlids instead. I put them in a grow out with my small discus and the discus' ate all but one. Id rather my tank be only discus, but i dont want them to be as shy as theyve been the past week. Id deff qt schooling fish if i was to get them.

Back
Top Bottom