Shy tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a yellow eye kole tang for over a week now, it was a beat up little thing when I got it with nipped fins and the like but has almost fully healed now. My problem is that I can not get it to feed, my clowns and wrasse eat like rabid little animals when it's feeding time but the tang just hangs back in its little cave eating food when it drifts by buts that not often. I've seen it nipping on the rocks and such where I have a bit of alage growing but I don't know if it's sufficient. It was eating at the store perfectly fine but it was the smallest thing in its tank. It's very skittish in my 75g not doing the normal laps that tangs do. If it's grazing in the rocks, will it be okay? I don't want the little thing to starve but I've tried everything from mysis shrimp, dried kale, the veggie diet for tangs, and flakes

I would say pull him out and QT him this way he learns to eat with out fighting for food ,
You could put a branch of broccoli rubber banded to a rock , along with try feeding him some frozen myssis shrimp , and if you can find a nice piece of macro to snack on
this could help him recover a little faster not being stressed from being picked on ,

Last edited:
I just took my Naso out of qt she had Popeye I had to treat her I used tetracyline ,
any way while she was in qt I took the time training her to eat all kinds of foods ,
she now eats flakes , dried sea weed but she likes the fresh ulva better , myssis , clam , and both red and green grape macro , I'm sure once I introduce others she will go for them also ,
If your kole isn't eating qt him a week or so to train him to eat all kinds of food , it will also give him time to fully heal , once you get him eating good you will also see how his colors get more brilliant,

Will do, I also built a clip by super glueing a clip off a close hanger into a suction cup. I've put that in his normal hangout along with a garlic soaked piece of seaweed. He's been nibbling on that so far, which is a good sign

you want to know he will eat more than just dry seaweed there feeding moods change in a sec so best to be prepared ,
I don't know where but I heard of that coat hanger clip trick somewhere else , never did it but it does sound as if it will work good let me know how it works out .

Will do, I also built a clip by super glueing a clip off a close hanger into a suction cup. I've put that in his normal hangout along with a garlic soaked piece of seaweed. He's been nibbling on that so far, which is a good sign

Back
Top Bottom