Siamese Algae Eaters Laying Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, almost a year ago I ordered 7 true Siamese Algae Eaters from a Hawaiian breeder. They were together in a 15 gallon heavily planted tank for months. When I felt they were getting quite large for the tank size I split them into two groups and put one group in a 120 gallon and 4 in a heavily planted 55 gallon tank with a large blind male Ryunkin. I purposely made sure there were males and females together. It is easy to tell as the males are much more slimline.

I also have Ramshorn Snails in those tanks and am quite familiar with what their eggs look like so when a couple of months ago I found mounds of small, sticky white eggs stuck in groups on the plants and glass I was very curious. They were obviously not goldfish eggs with a single male and not Ramshorn eggs. I wondered at the time if they could be Siamese Algae Eater eggs.

I brushed them off of the glass and plants and within an hour they had stuck themselves back to the glass and plants.

Today I discovered that they have laid again. I looked up pictures of what their eggs look like to be certain.

I love these energetic, busy little fish. I would like to try to raise some fry. I have already seen a Cory eating the eggs so I am going to have to act fast if I am to save any. I figure I could pick up a 10-20 gallon tank and fill with the current tank water. I already have an extra, small filter and I should be able to easily wrap the intake with mechanical media so as not to have eggs or fry sucked up. I also have a spare air pump to use. If I find the Cory are eating them too fast I can temporarily move them to one of my clear plastic containers I use for quaranting fish.

Has anyone ever raised SAE before?? I do not know what would be a safe way to remove the sticky eggs from surfaces without squishing them? Also, if they hatch what would be considered the healthiest, tiny size diet for these fry? My adults eat algae, algae tabs and Daphnia and Mysis shrimp. I also know that freshly hatched brine shrimp with the yoke still attached are considered much healthier than typical brine shrimp.

I am totally clueless about raising my first babies. I would be so thankful for any advice you can give. :thanks:

I have some and had heard you can't raise them in captivity, so will watch anxiously to see what you find. Mine are somewhat aggressive and I bet they will eat their own fry. If you can't remove the eggs to somewhere for grow out, can you remove things that will eat them?

As to how -- on glass no idea (razor maybe) but if on leafs just take the whole leaf to somewhere else.

I have no idea what they might eat but would guess any planted tank probably has enough stuff in the water for them at first. There are a number of fry foods dry in packages that stores have, check any LFS. You might just pulverize an algae tablet and put in the water. Hopefully someone who actually knows (I'm making all this up) will speak up.

But I'd love to know if I can raise some also.

i would treat them like any other fry, feed and car for them like so, babies brine shrimp and all, for more info look it up on google

Back
Top Bottom