sick anemone maybe?? need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmon1123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Untitled 0 00 01-16.jpg

Untitled 0 00 09-19.jpg
i got a green bubble tip anemone that i got bout two weeks ago it seems to be doing fine until today its very tiny and it had mucus or sumthing like that coming out of it i feed it every two days. when i bought him he was under a rock like attached to the rock like its rock then him then the sand some people call it a sand trap i think? and i moved it to my tank obv. the after the fish store and i put it on top of the rock and it move down into the sand trap like at the store is this bad some people say it is and others dont? could this be why the anemone is acting this way?

okay its almost back to its full size the tips of it are still pretty small. should i move it from the sand trap or it can stay there? and should i feed it 2nite or wait another day?

If that is a BTA then he looks kind of bleached. What kind of lighting are you using? Picture is kind fuzzy but looks almost like a seabae anenome.

im not really sure wat are those? i have a reef sun 50/50 light combination of 6500k trichromatic daylight phosphor and actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp

Is this in the 10g tank you mention in your "My Tanks"? If so, then I'm guessing it's a PC, or Power Compact Fluorscent lighting system?

Melosu58 was primarily wondering (I think) how many Watts of lighting you have. My guess is you don't have enough, and the anemone is stressed and bleached - even in the picture where it is "looking good."

it has pins on both sides and yeah it is in my ten gallon tank and so wat do you recommend?

can you take a picture of the light? If its got pins on both sides, its a "t" something. A picture would clear alot up unless you can read a label on the fixture and tell what the wattage is

That`s what I was afraid of. No where near enough lighting for an anenome. You`ll need a more powerful system. That`s why your anenome looks so bleached.You`ll need Power compacts, VHO, T5HO lighting.

I'm not sure what you mean about a "sand trap", but I think what is going on is that the anemone is purposefully crawling under the rock. You'd think if it needed more light, it'd crawl TOWARD the light. But since these things were at the end of the line when they were passing out brains to all the sea creature, they sometimes don't do that. Instead, they go hide in a corner and sulk to death.

I'll let someone with more knowledge about anemones tell you how much lighting you need, but you're going to most likely need VHO or T5HO, or a clamp-on metal halide. Power Compacts probably aren't going to get you what you need. And then you'll probably be fighting keeping the temperature stable due to the extra heat from the lights. Anemones in small tanks are are not an easy hobby.

Yes, no one addressed that a 10g is way to small for an anemone even as a species tank.

thanks some much for all your help kurt and yeah im prob going to get one of those lights and maybe that will help and also think bout switching to a bigger tank

Don't think about getting a larger tank for the anenome. Need to just do it IMO - before you purchase new lights too for the 10g. You're asking for trouble sooner or later. Tanks looks brand new too. How old is it?

Back
Top Bottom