Sick Angel ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tankless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I am new to the hobby and I think I have my first sick fish.

My Blue Ring angel has an eye that has clouded over and now has some discoloration behind his front fin. Is this Ick?

I also have a Qeuun Angel that the middle has lost most of its color. It is now milky white but not spotted. Both front and tail sections remain colorful.

My tank is an Oceanic 215 with 195 lbs of LR. I have a large W/D with 25 gal in a sump, also a cartrige filter with carbon.

Water conditions anr good. PH 8.0, KH 8 drops, NO2 0-0.3, NH3/4 0.0

Other tankmates include: Fiji Puffer, Lionfish, Powder Blue Tang, Picasso Triggerfish, Lutisense Wrasse, and a Green Wolf Eel.

The Queen Angel was the last fish in the tank about a month ago. A little fighting between the angels for a couple of weeks has now subsided. All others are getting along great.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0089-3.jpg
    100_0089-3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0095-3.jpg
    100_0095-3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 41
First off, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
My first red flag is the NO2 at any detectable level. It should be a 0. This is a cause of stress and could be the problem. Stocking a new tank too fast could cause this as well. It does not look like ick right now so that is good news. Water changes are your best defense at this time. As an FYI, you may have trouble with two large angles, even in a 215.

I agree water changes are in order. Keep an eye out for the cloudy eye. That sounds like a bacterial problem.

Thanks for the reply

I checked NO2 this morning and it was 0.0. When I checked it last night it was shortly after feeding. Does that skew the result?

I have changed 35 gal today and will see what happens.

Thanks again,
Ken

Tankless said:
Does that skew the result?
It can yes, depends on how much was fed and what..

I have changed 35 gal today and will see what happens.
You need to do several of those over the next few weeks not larger necessarily but more frequent. You need to get that 40 ppm nitrate reading down. The DOC in the water is feeding opportunistic bacteria that will only get worse if water conditions are not improved. Also be sure the food fed are fortified with a good liquid vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. Frozen foods geared towrads Angel's specifically would also be good as well as veggie matter.

If you get the water conditions under control and improve the diet, this should clear up on it's own. The second pic looks suspicious but lets see what the repeated water changes do. Be sure the new SW used is well aged/areated before use.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom