Sick Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DANIELLE L

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone! I am a new fish mom & have acquired a 125g tank when my fiance moved in. I bought many xlarge Angels over the last 2 months & have lost about 5 ( not all lost or bought at once). I have 7 left, along with an elephant nose, a couple Glo fish, 4 Cory Cats, 12" common pleco, 5 "golden bristlenose pleco & an 8" & 5" Goldfish, 1 butterfly (lost one last week) & 2 Rainbow Tetras. They all seem to be getting along well,but I keep getting Ich,mostly on the Angels. I've been treating with the blue liquid Ich Guard & The All-in-one Fizzers,along with increasing temp to 80°. Also added some Aquarium salt. PLEASE HELP, DON'T WANT 2 LOSE ANYMORE ANGELS......need advice!!

Oh my goodness Danielle! What is your fiance doing? Did this person just move in and have you take over? If not, you two both need to be doing some research.

If you make changes-- and big changes need to happen-- it could cause a lot of tension. Before we go any further, please decide how much decision making power you even have.

Fish are dying because the tank is overstocked and the stock isn't temperature compatible, so everybody's stressed out. They are getting ich because the stress is affecting their immune systems. Also, your tetras and glo-fish are pretty much expensive food in this tank.

What kind of filtration do you have? How often are your water changes, and how much water further do you change?

I strongly recommend you get a quarantine tank, which will make treating the illnesses easier moving forward. That part you can do unilaterally.

Finally, what kind of butterfly? And could you describe your rainbow tetras and glo-fish a bit more?

Oh my goodness Danielle! What is your fiance doing? Did this person just move in and have you take over? If not, you two both need to be doing some research.

If you make changes-- and big changes need to happen-- it could cause a lot of tension. Before we go any further, please decide how much decision making power you even have.

Fish are dying because the tank is overstocked and the stock isn't temperature compatible, so everybody's stressed out. They are getting ich because the stress is affecting their immune systems. Also, your tetras and glo-fish are pretty much expensive food in this tank.

What kind of filtration do you have? How often are your water changes, and how much water further do you change?

I strongly recommend you get a quarantine tank, which will make treating the illnesses easier moving forward. That part you can do unilaterally.

Finally, what kind of butterfly? And could you describe your rainbow tetras and glo-fish a bit more?
Agreed... But we're here to help when you want it. Goldfish are really dirty fish, require a big tank by themselves or a pond, keeping large ones is asking for water quality issues.

Thank you guys for your responses. I set up a hospital tank today & isolated the 3 sick Angels. I know it sounded like a lot of fish, but actually it looks quite bare since its 125 gallons. I have 2 large over the back carbon filters. I treated the hospital tank tonight for Ich & fungus. I appreciate your help & am glad I have some resources now! My fiance has given me full control over the tank, and I'm a nurse & am usually very good at fixing sick, but fish are new to me! I'll let you know how my 3 friends look tomorrow! Hoping for the best!!

I forgot to mention that in the morning, the 2 gold fish will be going to the LFS & be given to a new home with just gold fish! The 2 Rainbow Tetras are only 1 1/2", the Glofish are 2 small tetras. Thanks again!!

I keep forgetting things, sorry. The Butterfly, Is a small African Tropical that just stays on the top & the Angels are all very docile & are not bothering any of the others, including each other or the Glofish or Rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom