Sick bala shark and rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sciggy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120 gallon acrylic tank that is fully cycled and I've lost both a Bala shark and a rainbow shark to the same symptoms. I've tested my water using the 5in1 test strips found at Petco so I don't have numbers, but they are all acceptable accord to the box (nitrates under 40ppm, nitrites zero, I do have hard water, ph 7.0). The tank is about 2 months old and not over stocked. Both fish overnight (first the rainbow one day, the bala the next) seemed to lose control of their bodies. They would float at odd angles, spin around in the current, and then start to swim a little and then go back into the same pattern. I took a video of the bala in a QT tank but I didn't know what was wrong so no medicine was added. I'm trying to figure out how to upload the video. Any ideas? I don't want my other fish to start dying.

Other pertinent info: I had a brown knifefish that died a few days before this (was new to the tank).

Other tank mates: 2 bala sharks, 2 redline sharks, clown loach, 2 cory catfish, handful of zebra danios, 5 small tiger barbs, handful of ghost shrimp, 3 glass catfish, common pleco, 4 fiddler crabs, bamboo shrimp, 2 fancy guppies, 2 neon blue gouramis, 2 red flame gouramis, 3 Chinese algae eaters.

Everyone seems to get along just fine, no nipped fins or aggression that I've seen, even with the barbs and gouramis.

Edit:
uploaded video to youtube

http://youtu.be/n5Z21EuzcaY

Last edited:
Any thoughts? Seems like another bala is starting to do the same thing. It seems to be gradually coming on.

Back
Top Bottom