Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a betta I picked up 2 days ago from a lady who was moving and her parents wouldn't let her keep him (not sure why a betta is hardly a lot of maintenance).

She had him in an unfiltered but heated 2.5 gallon tank - not sure of her water changes but she said he had nipped off most of his tail.

He has about half of his tail missing and it has a thin black edge to it so I suspect fin rot.

I have him in a new 5 gallon with a filter and heater (not cycled but I didn't have a lot of choice she couldn't take him with her and she was moving the following day) - I have been doing 50% water changes every other day.

He is very thin - I thought to begin with I had just over fed him (he was eating initially) as his belly was a little swollen (gave him 2-3 pellets each feeding and some daphnia yesterday.

He is now hanging out on the bottom of the tank - his belly is no longer swollen but his breathing is labored. When he does swim he swims normally but he doesn't swim much at the moment.

I cannot see any parasites on him. Anything I can do to help him? I have given him a little bettafix and always use Prime in my water changes.

Not sure of his chances but would like to help him as best i can.

No idea, she had.him for 6 months thank you i have.some and will.try.it

Take a look at this article. Your buddy might have fin rot. Fin Rot 101 - Betta Splendid

Do you have pictures to post?

The red Betta that you see in my avatar was purchased about a year ago. He had a severe case of ICH and some internal parasites (I think). He was at deaths door. I treated with heat and a temporary salt bath. He is alive and kicking now.

Added pic

His belly still appears a little swollen but along with his fins being heavily gone his tail section is very thin. He is still same condition - love to figure out something to help him.

Attachments

• 2015-03-01_10-55-56_664.jpg
    2015-03-01_10-55-56_664.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 47
Looks like fin rot to me. Apparently, he did not get the best care with the previous owner. I'm glad to see that you stepped up to the plate.

Looking at him from side and top his scales are sticking out a bit - fearing dropsy - poor guy.

Nothing that you did or didn't do. The previous owner did not take proper care of the Betta fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, appreciate that - still wish he would have made it - even though he was basically half a fish Gustav was still very pretty and cute.

Letting tank sit empty for a bit - ran some meds through it - then will figure out what - maybe another betta.

Back
Top Bottom