Sick cardinals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinMcG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I just noticed today that something appears to be wrong with two of my tetras. They are swimming fine, schooling as usual, eating normally, etc. I wouldn't have even noticed except that I dropped my algae wafer really close to the front of the tank and the tetras swarmed it. I stuck around to watch, because they don't seem to realise that they aren't bottom feeders and it's hysterical.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Two cardinal tetras - clearish white growth on bottom fins - maybe like cotton, but very small and almost translucent.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
A: <0.1; NI: <0.1; NA: 5; pH: 7.0; Temp: 77

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 gallons; 9 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Aquaclear 50

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 bn plecos (~ 6 months, maybe 2 inches)
3 neon tetras
5 cardinal tetras
8 glowlight rasboras
The tetras and rasboras are may 1 inch each?

ramshorn snails

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Water change/vac today. I do it once weekly. Remove 1/3-1/2 water each time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
5 months?

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Ran out of prime and used my back up for the last two water changes. It's called Nutrafin AquaPlus water conditioner.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
No changes: flakes most days plus an algae pellet for the plecos (the tetras eat the algae pellet too). Sometimes frozen bloodworms.

I will try to get a photo, but I lack a decent camera and they are really small.

ErinMcG said:
Hi all, I just noticed today that something appears to be wrong with two of my tetras. They are swimming fine, schooling as usual, eating normally, etc. I wouldn't have even noticed except that I dropped my algae wafer really close to the front of the tank and the tetras swarmed it. I stuck around to watch, because they don't seem to realise that they aren't bottom feeders and it's hysterical.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Two cardinal tetras - clearish white growth on bottom fins - maybe like cotton, but very small and almost translucent.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
A: <0.1; NI: <0.1; NA: 5; pH: 7.0; Temp: 77

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 gallons; 9 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Aquaclear 50

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 bn plecos (~ 6 months, maybe 2 inches)
3 neon tetras
5 cardinal tetras
8 glowlight rasboras
The tetras and rasboras are may 1 inch each?

ramshorn snails

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Water change/vac today. I do it once weekly. Remove 1/3-1/2 water each time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
5 months?

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Ran out of prime and used my back up for the last two water changes. It's called Nutrafin AquaPlus water conditioner.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
No changes: flakes most days plus an algae pellet for the plecos (the tetras eat the algae pellet too). Sometimes frozen bloodworms.

I will try to get a photo, but I lack a decent camera and they are really small.

If they had fin damage the new fin growth is usually white. I know it's hard to tell since they're so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom