sick cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcanonie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this site and i do not have a lot of knowledge of aquariums. I recently have put 6 cichlids into my tank that has been running without fish in it for about 2 weeks now. The fish started off fine, but now they are gasping heavily for air. I am unsure of what to do. I have 2 filters in the tank (40 gallon) right now. I read that I should do a 25% water change immediately, so I did. It does not seem to be making a difference. They started breathing like this this morning.

Thanks, all help is needed!!

tcanonie said:
Hi, I am new to this site and i do not have a lot of knowledge of aquariums. I recently have put 6 cichlids into my tank that has been running without fish in it for about 2 weeks now. The fish started off fine, but now they are gasping heavily for air. I am unsure of what to do. I have 2 filters in the tank (40 gallon) right now. I read that I should do a 25% water change immediately, so I did. It does not seem to be making a difference. They started breathing like this this morning.

What type of cichlids? How are your water conditions? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? pH? Do you use a dechloranator? How did you cycle your tank?

What is the temp at? Why type of filters are you using?

There all doing the same thing? Gasping at the surface?

Can you test your nitrite levels? I understand high levels can burn the gills causing this behavior. What are you feeding them and are they eating?

Last edited:
He also has another thread on this just saying to keep u up.

African cichlids (Auratus and Electric Yellow)
I have not tested pH yet but I will
No dechloranator
I cycled the tank for 10 days before putting the fish in.
The water temp is around 80
I use 2 filters: A cheap one that came with the tank, and a Nexx filter by API
About half of them are at the surface, while a few are on the bottom.
They are not eating. I have tried to feed them tetra cichlid sticks

tcanonie said:
African cichlids (Auratus and Electric Yellow)
I have not tested pH yet but I will
No dechloranator
I cycled the tank for 10 days before putting the fish in.
The water temp is around 80
I use 2 filters: A cheap one that came with the tank, and a Nexx filter by API
About half of them are at the surface, while a few are on the bottom.
They are not eating. I have tried to feed them tetra cichlid sticks

Sounds like your tank is still cycling 2 weeks isn't long enough. You may wanna read up on fish in cycling. Also do a 50% water change. Add Prime and get yourself an API freshwater test kit and find out what your conditions are.

I have a 75g African tank and I maintain a pH of 8.2. I bet your ammonia is high. I was thinking maybe nitrites also.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

tcanonie said:

Here's a good article

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

tcanonie said:

out of curiosity, do you have one or two airlines( bubble stones) running in the tank?

Yep...Your going to need to do several large water changes.You must use prime or another dechlorinator. Also if you can get some old filter media from a friends tank or a local fish shop. Put it in your filter. Asap!

Back
Top Bottom