sick clownfish - identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, my clownfish have been looking "dusty" or "powdery" for about a week. It's not white spots.. it literrally looks like they've been sprinkled with flour or something.

Anyways, acting on the advice from my LFS, I treated the tank with Quick Cure and Binox and cranked the heater up to 84. I did the quick cure daily for 3 days and I let the binox run for 4. It's been two days now with me running activated carbon and the temparture back to normal and i've done a couple PWC's (about 40% two days in a row).

Neither of these did anything for the clownfish, so I need some help identifying what they have so I can treat them properly.

They also have labored breathing and tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank, the male one more than the female.

I did some googling but nothing really looks like what they have (though it could be because the fish I looked at weren't black and white like mine).

Here's a picture.. it's kind of crappy but I think it can be made out. Please let me know what you think.

doba1i.jpg

That's what was my best guess.
They guy at the other LFS that knows what he's talking about said oodinium (or whatever) can be treated with tetracycline... i think that's what he said.
I read copper when I google.

Should I refuse the tetracycline and ask for copper?

Actually I stand corrected. He recommended copper and thats what I got. I now have my two clown fish in a 10g hospital tank.

I hope it's not too late!

ccCapt said:
From the directions on Quick Cure....
Sometimes treatment will take 10 days to fully irradiate infestations.

I saw 3 days max treatment.. hmm. I began running quick cure in with the copper though because I realized you might be right.

Too late though. Male clown fish succumbed earlier. ;( I hope the female can hang on.

Just though i would chime in.. You are not putting copper in with corals in the tank? Because once you use copper in a tank you can't have corals. I don't know if you are using a qt tank. Just thought I would give u the info.

Just though i would chime in.. You are not putting copper in with corals in the tank? Because once you use copper in a tank you can't have corals. I don't know if you are using a qt tank. Just thought I would give u the info.

Yep, using a qt tank.

Alright good choice. Slot of lfs say use copper based products and that is fine unless you want to have a reef tank and you don't have a qt.

Well the female one passed away too. I tried hard, so I feel good about that.

You did everything you could have. I'm so sorry to hear about your clowns, they were adorable!

How are the chromis?

carey said:
You did everything you could have. I'm so sorry to hear about your clowns, they were adorable!

How are the chromis?

Chromis are good. Clear skin, acting normal, and eating. This powder thing only got my clowns. At least I will know it's brooklynella amd to give formalin if it happens again..... The bright side of things.

Back
Top Bottom