sick colt coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murcos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gallon saltwater tank, and about a week ago I purchased a colt coral. All my levels are fine, I have no other corals, and I have abut 6 non-aggressive fish. However, my coral has been drooping these last couple days, and I am a bit concerned about it. Also, my little clown fish doesn't want to come out from its hiding since it's been added, although it has other places to go. Any suggestions?

I would worry about the clown much. Doesn't take much to disturb them if something in the tank is changed. It will soon be back to normal. Keep an eye on it though.

As for the colt, it can be quite common when newly added to a tank for these/leathers to go into a dormancey stage. Often ending in shedding AKA "sloughing". Give it some time to adjust and keep an eye on it for dark/black areas which would indicate necrosis. More often than not after a week or so the coral will begin to shed (thin brown/grey sheets, almost slimey) and look as good as new. Make sure it's in a moderate water flow/light area and resist the urge to keep moving or distrurbing it. Many species of coral react advesely to being moved and can make the recovering (adjustment) time much more prolonged.

How was the coral acclimated and if you could please post the numbers for your levels. Even though they're "fine"

Cheers
Steve

sick coral

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, after a water change (which seemed to make my coral even more sad), here are my levels. Nitrates - 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia .25, Ph 8.
My salinity is within range.
I am not sure if my protein skimmer is working well...I have a Prism with the extra attached cup. I am getting a lot of water in the cup. Any suggestions. This is my first time using one, and I think I had been running it improperly for a while.
My other fish are a lemonpeel angel, a saddleback puffer, three green chromies, a clown, and a starfish.
Thanks for hte help!
Mary

Re: sick coral

murcos said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, after a water change (which seemed to make my coral even more sad)
Be sure the new SW is well mixed with a powerhead for a full day before use. Match temp, salinity and pH to that of the main. It will severely stress your inhabitants if you simpley mix for a short term and then use it.

Ammonia .25,
Get that double checked. It should read zero if the tanks properly cycled. More commonly this will be a faulty test kit and not the actual level.

Tested at what time of day?

My salinity is within range.
"In range" would be 35 ppt (1.025-1.027 SG). Corals/invertebrates should be kept at higher salinity values.

I am not sure if my protein skimmer is working well...I have a Prism with the extra attached cup. I am getting a lot of water in the cup. Any suggestions. This is my first time using one, and I think I had been running it improperly for a while.
Excess water output usually means too much water flow producing "wet skimmate". Turn the dial for the flow control down to about 1/3. You want the bubbles in the neck to be just at the bottom of the collection cup for best performance. I have the same skimmer and it works very well onced it's tuned correctly.

lemonpeel angel, a saddleback puffer
Watch these two carefully. Puffers in general are not recommended with inverts of any type, the dwarf angel is very prone to coral nipping which can cause prolonged stress if not death.

oh no!

After the water change, and trying to raise the salinity a little, the coral is standing up like it should, but it seems to be shrinking! What do I do!!!
Any help would be great!
Mary

Be sure you only raise the salinity by no more than 0.001 each day. Raising the salinity is a tad stressful so do it slowly.

As far as what to do, nothing directly. Indirectly, be sure your water parameters/chem are in line and stay that way. Nothing is irritating the coral or too near to another coral and do not move the coral unless absolutely necessary. It simpley need to adjust to the new surroundings. It can take them several weeks or longer before they adjust.

Can you post a pic? What kind of lighting do you have?

Cheers
Steve

sad coral!

Thanks for the reply. He is still looking pretty pathetic. He isn't so closed up or shrunk looking today, but he is leaning all the way over. I posted a couple pictures for you, maybe that can help a little. I checked all my levels last night, everything seemed ok, except for the salinity being low as you said. (That won't bother the other fish?)
I was reading about calcium and ?phosphorus? Should I be adding this as well?

Thanks! You're the best!
Mary

Steve-s will be the first to tell not to add anything you haven't tested for. Get an Calcium test kit and test your Ca level before thinking of dosing your tank. PWC with good quality salt should keep your levels up till you add Ca loving corals.

feeling better?

I think our coral friend is feeling better. He was looking good this morning, standing up tall and open. However, there may be little hope for his baby, as he is still grey and hanging over. :( Thanks for all the help with everything!
Mary

Re: feeling better?

murcos said:
However, there may be little hope for his baby, as he is still grey and hanging over
Leather corals can take several weeks to get adjusted and back to normal once added to a new tank. In some cases it can take months. Don't give up on it until your sure it's dead. In which case it will literally disintegrate.

everything seemed ok, except for the salinity being low as you said. (That won't bother the other fish?)
Low salinity wil not bother the fish for the short term but it will affect coral health, especially if the tank it came from was a lot different than yours.

Any chance on than pic?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom