Sick Ctenopoma's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazonian13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with the following species:

Upside Down Catfish
Firemouth Cichlid
Ghost Knife Fish
Ghost Catfish
Bala Shark
Blue Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Rainbow Tail Shark
Red Swordtail
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus
Sunburst Platy
Lohacata Botia Loach
2 Tiger Barbs
False Julii Cory Cat
2 Emerald Green Cory Cats
5 Cobra Guppies
Lyre Tail Guppy
2 Leopard Ctenopoma's

Also have bamboo, anubis nana, and amazon sword live plants

Anyway, two weeks ago I got 4 leopard ctenopomas from a man who could no longer take care of them. One was large about 4-5 inches and was supposedly the mother and I also got three of her fry about 1/2 inch - 1 inch in size. Never have had any problems introducing fish before, but I noticed almost immediately that one of the small fish most likely had ich because it had the telltale white spots and its two lowermost fins were completely not being used. I quarantined her immediately in a tiny tank I have for sick fish and began to raise the water temperature, but she was dead in hours :(. The next day the large one, "the mother" was having trouble swimming so I removed her to the now empty quarantine tank (after changing the water and letting it filter of course) and I noticed she had a white very light white spot on her dorsal fin, but it was very small and not on any of her other fins. Literally about 20 minutes after going into the quarantine tank she was dead. Did another full change and filter of the quarantine tank and put the other two remaining ctenopomas in it. They did not have any signs of sickness, but I thought now maybe it wasn't ich and the fish all had some disease I've never heard of. Anyway they stayed there for about 2 weeks and were completely healthy. They had been introduced to my main tank and doing well for about 2 days and now one of them has a very tiny white spot on his back fin although is still eating and doing fine as of now. Either way, I am terrified because I have absolutely fallen in love with these fish and after already losing two I can't bear for these to go as well. I am also certain the spot is new because after what happened before I have been staring at them sketching pictures of their patterns and what not to distinguish if any marks are new. Mainly trying to see if anyone has any experience with this fish specifically and if the only thing this could be is ich? Or if these fish are susceptible to some fish disease or what I am clueless here. Other main thing is that I cannot medicate the tank with any anti-ich medications because they are straight poison to the ghost knife fish and I did not want to medicate them in the quarantine tank in case they cannot take ich meds either. Like I said, no experience with these fish before and I am going crazy here trying to make sure these guys make it. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.

Attachments

• fishy 012.jpg
    fishy 012.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 95
  • fishy 011.jpg
    fishy 011.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 102
Omg, I wouldn't have responded to this old post, but holy crap that tank is maxed out x3 and I just had to post.

Finally got my ctenopoma to thrive has been alive 4 months now and is almost 5 inches growing super fast
New Tank: 75 Gallons:

Flagtail Prochilodus: 6 Inch: Alexander (the Great)
Synodontis Petricola Catfish: ½ Inch:
2 Firemouth Cichlids: 2 Inch and 1 Inch: Caligula & Boudicca
Chinese Algae Eater: 2 ½ Inches: Cloaca
Striped Peacock Eel: 6 Inch: Nero
Feather-Fin Catfish: 4 Inch: Quetzalcoatl
Striped Raphael Catfish: 3.5 Inch: Speed Racer
Blood Parrot Cichlid: 4 Inch: Vespasian
Frontosa Cichlid: 4 Inch: Titus
Leopard Ctenopoma: 3 Inch: Marc Antony
2 Bolivian Ram Cichlid: 3 Inch & 1 Inch: Huitzilopochtli, Lil Huitzy
Upside Down Catfish: 2 Inch: Shiloh
Ghost Knife Fish: 7 Inch: Isis
2 Ghost Catfish: 2 & 1 Inches: X-Ray & The Ghost of Christmas Present
3 Bala Shark:6 Inch & 3 Inches: Tuna, Pollus & Castor
Blue Gourami: 4 Inches: Samurai Jack
Dwarf Gourami: 2.5 Inches: Nefertiti
Orange Swordtail: 2.5 Inches: Julius (Caesar)
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus: 6.5 Inches: Augustus (Caesar)
Sunburst Platy: 1.5 Inch: (Queen) Isabella
Lohacata Botia Loach: 2.5 Inch: Moammar Gaddafi
Panda Garra Loach: 1 Inch: The Dalai Lama
2 Striata Botia Loach: 1.5 Inch: (Genghis) Khan & Atilla the Hun
Angelica Botia Loach: 2 Inch: Saddam Hussein
6 Tiger Barbs: 2 -1.5 Inches & ¾ Inch: Achilles & Ajax (Green), Priam & Helen (Albino), Hector & Paris (Tiger)
3 Cobra Guppy: 1 Inch, ½ Inches: Cyrus, Perseus and Antiochus
Total: 39 Fishy Fishy Fishy
Show Tank: 38
Quarantine Tank: 1: Synodontis Petricola until 3-4 Inches.

Now that is 3x stocked, all have been thriving together for 4 1/2 months now only fish I have lost is 2 cobra guppys so dont say it cant be done haters just have to do it smart and dedicate the **** outta that water cleansing one sock of seachem purigen and there still going strong love each and every one and know every name by heart so dont tell me I dont love them there much happier with me than the tiny lfs tanks i grabbed them from

DoratheExplorer said:
Finally got my ctenopoma to thrive has been alive 4 months now and is almost 5 inches growing super fast
New Tank: 75 Gallons:

Flagtail Prochilodus: 6 Inch: Alexander (the Great)
Synodontis Petricola Catfish: ½ Inch:
2 Firemouth Cichlids: 2 Inch and 1 Inch: Caligula & Boudicca
Chinese Algae Eater: 2 ½ Inches: Cloaca
Striped Peacock Eel: 6 Inch: Nero
Feather-Fin Catfish: 4 Inch: Quetzalcoatl
Striped Raphael Catfish: 3.5 Inch: Speed Racer
Blood Parrot Cichlid: 4 Inch: Vespasian
Frontosa Cichlid: 4 Inch: Titus
Leopard Ctenopoma: 3 Inch: Marc Antony
2 Bolivian Ram Cichlid: 3 Inch & 1 Inch: Huitzilopochtli, Lil Huitzy
Upside Down Catfish: 2 Inch: Shiloh
Ghost Knife Fish: 7 Inch: Isis
2 Ghost Catfish: 2 & 1 Inches: X-Ray & The Ghost of Christmas Present
3 Bala Shark:6 Inch & 3 Inches: Tuna, Pollus & Castor
Blue Gourami: 4 Inches: Samurai Jack
Dwarf Gourami: 2.5 Inches: Nefertiti
Orange Swordtail: 2.5 Inches: Julius (Caesar)
Long-Fin Trinidad Plecostomus: 6.5 Inches: Augustus (Caesar)
Sunburst Platy: 1.5 Inch: (Queen) Isabella
Lohacata Botia Loach: 2.5 Inch: Moammar Gaddafi
Panda Garra Loach: 1 Inch: The Dalai Lama
2 Striata Botia Loach: 1.5 Inch: (Genghis) Khan & Atilla the Hun
Angelica Botia Loach: 2 Inch: Saddam Hussein
6 Tiger Barbs: 2 -1.5 Inches & ¾ Inch: Achilles & Ajax (Green), Priam & Helen (Albino), Hector & Paris (Tiger)
3 Cobra Guppy: 1 Inch, ½ Inches: Cyrus, Perseus and Antiochus
Total: 39 Fishy Fishy Fishy
Show Tank: 38
Quarantine Tank: 1: Synodontis Petricola until 3-4 Inches.

Now that is 3x stocked, all have been thriving together for 4 1/2 months now only fish I have lost is 2 cobra guppys so dont say it cant be done haters just have to do it smart and dedicate the **** outta that water cleansing one sock of seachem purigen and there still going strong love each and every one and know every name by heart so dont tell me I dont love them there much happier with me than the tiny lfs tanks i grabbed them from

You do understand that 1 Bala shark full grown needs a minimal 50-75 gallon tank. Just because it works now does not mean it will always work. Aquarium welfare is not being practiced here. Guess I'm a hater for trying to tell you your wrong, and there is factual information, you chose to go to forum instead of researching this on your own. Their is a reason nobody else has posted on this thread... Lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom