sick dwarf gourami??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi there,
i'm worried about my male dwarf gourami; he's temporarily in a 30 gallon with some zebra danios at the moment.
my male has bites taken out of the fin that runs against his belly, and his tentical fins are completely shredded... he's also hiding a lot, and staying at the bottom of the tank, upright, but barely moving!
is he being bullied by the danios?
is he tearing his fins on the gravel subtrate?
has he got an illness?
finrot?
:bawl: help save my fish!!! :bawl:

rebekahbirch said:
hi there,
i'm worried about my male dwarf gourami; he's temporarily in a 30 gallon with some zebra danios at the moment.
my male has bites taken out of the fin that runs against his belly, and his tentical fins are completely shredded... he's also hiding a lot, and staying at the bottom of the tank, upright, but barely moving!
is he being bullied by the danios?
is he tearing his fins on the gravel subtrate?
has he got an illness?
finrot?
:bawl: help save my fish!!! :bawl:

Sounds to me that somebody bite him bad, but it's hard to believe that the danios did it.
Can you post a picture? Maybe is some kind of infection.

thanks for your help, but i've been reading about a thing called 'dwarf gouramis disease' and it looks like that... my pooor dwarf's going to die! :(

Don't give up yet! Try PWC's? Or keep an eye to make sure the danios don't bully him! I thought my hillstream loach had patchy disease, a disease common to that species. It was supposed to be fatal. But mine pulled through! Maybe yours will too!

How many danios do you have? A small group of danios is notorious for nipping fins, especially on fish like bettas, guppies, and gourami.

i only have 3, (i know, i need more, but i'm looking after them for a while for a friend, so i don't want to buy more for him to look after - he doesn't even like them much!) i'm moving them to a different tank today or tommorow though- just in case what the male gourami has is contagious!

I would get more danios, or find a new home for the ones you have. I've had them kill livebearers before my eyes. Horrible things. Unless you have six or more, they turn into little piranha IMO.

How many danios do you have? A small group of danios is notorious for nipping fins, especially on fish like bettas, guppies, and gourami.
i have zebra danios in with my guppies and they don't even touch them. but i was told never to put them in with gourami's.

Zebra danios are known to be aggressive in groups less than 6, agreed. Had two and one always bothered the other. Should be fine in proper schooling numbers.

Zebra danios are known to be aggressive in groups less than 6, agreed. Had two and one always bothered the other. Should be fine in proper schooling numbers.

i have 3 Zebra danios in with my community fish and they are not bothering nor are they attacking my other fish. with one bothering the other one is their way of playing and mating because two of mine do that all the time. I was told never to put them in a tank with drawf gourami's.

I agree that proper schooling numbers is what is important with danios, along with proper tank size. Although I wouldn't throw them in with shy timid fish like my rams and glass cats, I wouldn't say there was any fish you could never put them in with. I keep a proper school of danios with a dwarf gourami and a betta in a 29 gal and there is zero issues. I really only hear of issues when someone is keeping less than 6 and/or in a tank too small, with gouramis or anyone else. Of course it's possible, but I don't think it's likely enough to worry about.

siva said:
I agree that proper schooling numbers is what is important with danios, along with proper tank size. Although I wouldn't throw them in with shy timid fish like my rams and glass cats, I wouldn't say there was any fish you could never put them in with. I keep a proper school of danios with a dwarf gourami and a betta in a 29 gal and there is zero issues. I really only hear of issues when someone is keeping less than 6 and/or in a tank too small, with gouramis or anyone else. Of course it's possible, but I don't think it's likely enough to worry about.

Agreed, I have a school of 10 zebra's in my male/female gourami tank and have 0 issues.
They tend to switch swimming zones wihen the gouramis surface for air though, rather entertaining to watch

Back
Top Bottom