sick ember tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

an ember tetra. he has been isolating himself from the rest of the fish (when normally they socialize). we then noticed that his belly inside (you can see through him) looks black. he also has a big black bump right where his tail fin starts.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

ammonia=0ppm, NO2=0ppm, NO3= , ph=7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

27g hex tank, ~ 10 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

two Tetra Whisper 30's (internal filters)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

3 ember tetras (not including sicky), 9 glowlight tetras, 5 otos

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

a week ago wednesday (9 days ago). i have sand and always vacuum the top. i always change ~50% of the water

7~How l
ong have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

several months ago. we got a batch of 10, and only have the 4 left :(

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

last PWC we added some pennywort from our other tank

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

flakes, hikari small mouth pellets, frozen bloodworms & brine shrimp, peas

we noticed a couple of days ago that he looked a little ill, and was just kind of floating in the pennywort, keeping himself isolated. i noticed today how black his belly was and the large black bump. i am in the process of moving him to QT (a 20g tank i have set up and running, but have not started to cycle. i'm not going to bother with filter material as i will probably needing to be doing daily PWC's anyway, and it's one tiny ember in a 20g :rolleyes:)

what now?

edit: pics

DSCN5389.JPG

DSCN5388.JPG

it sounds like my best bet would be to euthanize it (i know, but i don't want to go through heck for a two dollar fish that most likely won't make it). there is one other little speck on it, but the fact that there is that huge black bulge and black rings around his eyes, makes me think it's not black spot disease. i know that clove oil and vodka is the most humane way to go, but are there any other options? i'd like to be able to do it tonight or ASAP.... he's still sitting in his acclimation bucket right now....

(note to self--do NOT go on AA while doing a PWC...my bucket just overflowed all over my carpet!! argh)

Back
Top Bottom