Sick first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My little O clown was fine when I brought him home. ate right away after a fw dip. He seemed happy in my QT

the next day he had a couple sugary white spots (ich, I think/thought)

the next day he had brownish spots on his white bands

I am trying cupramine and dropping the salinity as fast as I dare.

This morning he was in a bottom corner, but when I vacuumed out the tank he swam around a lot and seemed happier.. Almost like he enjoyed the rodi water splashing in.

then tonight, he's back in the corner and now he doesn't swim away when I put my hand near the glass.

I added some more RODI again and am now down to 1.021. I'll try to get it down to 1.09 over the course of the next 36 hours or so

is there anything else I can do? is he doomed? I'm not sure what the brownish spots are. also not sure why there's black "dust" on the bottom of my qt. I vacuumed it out earlier in the day, but it's back.

I am trying cupramine and dropping the salinity as fast as I dare.
One or the other, both is too stressful on the fish. If you have added cupramine, leave the spg where its at.
is there anything else I can do? is he doomed?
What your doing (minus the duel treatment) should do just fine. Do you have seachems copper test kit?
Watch your ammonia and PH, treatment can do strange things to both. be armed with change water.
Good luck!!

jaiden said:
some foods he tastes but then spits out. .
What foods are you feeding? That type of response is usually an indication the particle size is too large for the fish to deal with and cannot swallow the food. Even though it may appear small enough, try crushing it some more. A drop or two of garlic extract is also a good appetite atractant as well as being an overall great antioxidant that has anecdotally shown in aiding with parasite infestations. Just be mindful not to use more than a drop or two. Too much and it will confuse the fish's senses and can degrade water quality if dosed too often.

Cheers
Steve

The first thing he ate was frozen brine.only did that once though.

I've tried formula one and two pellets.. Also bio blend pellets and nori. I even tried some fw flake. I did try crushing up one of the pellets, but not the others.

i'll pick up some sw flake and garlic today.

Pellets are definately too large especially for an Ocellaris. If worse comes to worse, go back to the brine but be sure it is soaked overnight in a quality marine vitamin first to improve the nutritional value. The main concern with new fish is getting them acustom to being fed. Once they adapt you can move over to better food choices.

Cheers
Steve

YAY! I got him to eat some live brine! I know it's not the best thing for him, but any calories are a bonus after a week.

our clown had the same eating habit when we got him. he would only eat freze dried brine. after a couple of days i "primed the pump" with a little brine and then some broken spectrum pellet. now he eats about 4 -5 broken pieces of spectrum pellet every day. he also wakes up every morning and eats a bunch of pods off the glass. i would say give him time to adjust. ours also just started venturing around the tank ans picke a cave that he sometimes hides in when the dogs run by

good luck
steve r

Back
Top Bottom